Some complains

Hi, this is my story: I updated firefox and zotero, I lost the zotero data, and i recovered it by my zotero backup. but i lost some of my recent-added papers. I wrote a paper before the lost, now I need to keep working on that paper, here comes the problem: when i inserted a citation, a window popped out with a high light on a previously inserted citation "this citation is missing, do you want to insert another one?" something like that, and also I got at least two styles of bibliography style in the list of reference. I tried to select another output style, but in the list of refs, some are updated, but the rest just keep the same. I also tried to re-insert the cannot-be-updated ones, but just the same. Hope I made myself clear. Any one can help? Thank you very much!
  • smoother,

A few questions ...

First (just to be careful) be sure to keep an old copy of your document from before the upgrade. It may come in handy.

Second, what did you do to update Firefox and Zotero? The Zotero data will not normally be lost in either case.

Third, just so we have a clear picture of your situation, what method did you use to restore from backup?

Fourth, when the window asking you to select a replacement reference came up, did you select a reference as the window requested, for each missing reference in the document?
  • Hi,
    1. Backup: I did backup all the stuffs in the folder opened with the button "Show Data Directory" in "Advanced"---"Zotero preferences".
    2. Data lost: I upgraded Firefox from v. 3 to v. 4 something, then I found two Firefoxes installed in my PC (control panel---programs and features), and then I uninstalled the older one. After that, when I launched the new Firefox, I found that it was so "clean", all the add-ons were gone. I re-installed Zotero, opened it in Firefox, all my added papers were gone.
    3.Restore: I opened the folder via button "Show Data Directory" in "new" Zotero, copied my backup, I mentioned above, to the opened folder, restarted the Firefox.
    4. Yes, I did, till no such a window pops up.
    Thank you.
  • edited August 31, 2011
    Data lost: I upgraded Firefox from v. 3 to v. 4 something, then I found two Firefoxes installed in my PC (control panel---programs and features), and then I uninstalled the older one. After that, when I launched the new Firefox, I found that it was so "clean", all the add-ons were gone. I re-installed Zotero, opened it in Firefox, all my added papers were gone.
    How did you uninstall the old copy of Firefox? Also, what is your operating system (MacOSX, Windows, Linux)?
  • edited August 31, 2011
    Windows 7, 32 bit, home premium.
    control panel---programs and features---unintallation.
    I remember that I selected "delete all contents" something like that, that must be the step deleted the Zotero data directory in old Firefox.
  • The previous Firefox upgrade would be "merging" the new one to the old one, but Firefox 4 actually created a new data folder which I didn't realize.
  • Just three further questions, and then I should let someone who knows the plugins better than I do take over.

(1) What version of Zotero do you have installed?
    (2) What version of the word processor plugin do you have installed?
    (2) What version of Word are you using (the "Starter version" has compatibility problems, if I remember correctly).
  • 1. Zotero 2.1.8
    2. Zotero WinWord Integration 3.1.2
    3. Microsoft Office Word Standard 2007 SP2
    Thank you for your help
  • edited September 2, 2011
    It sounds like you restored an older version (the one you backed up) and therefore lost recent additions to your library. If you did not make a backup of those recent additions it is understandable that they cannot be found while working with the paper you were citing them in.

If there are not too many, the solution would be to re-add the items to your library, then point the missing citations in the paper to the new items. If there are many additions since your backup it would pay to go searching for the last version of your library. You can try, for instance, to find a file called zotero.sqlite or zotero.sqlite.bak on your hard drive. Search in the folder "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\" for "zotero". You will find your current library, but possible also a version from before you updated.

Just for reference, if you enable syncing something like this will not easily happen in the future, as you would be able to reinstate the synced version from the server. Syncing is, in effect, an always up to date backup of your metadata (and of your files too if you use storage syncing).
  • In the data directory, actually it has many .bak files:
    zotero.sqlite
    zotero.sqlite.1.bak
    zotero.sqlite.73.bak
    zotero.sqlite.bak
    zotero.sqlite-journal

Can these be confusion to Zotero, that Zotero is using several databases and messed up?
  • No, those are copies of your database created automatically each time Zotero is upgraded.

The puzzle, if I understand your description correctly, is why the citations that you have re-linked are not behaving live Zotero citations. That should be something to do with the document itself, not Zotero.