inconsistent formatting

Hello,

I've started using Zotero in a LibreOffice document. I've inserted two separate citations, and immediately I see a surprise: the formatting of them is different in both the citation and the bibliography parts. I would illustrate this by a screen picture but I don't see how I can attach it here.

In words:
- one citation is with grayed background, the other is not;
- one citation is as "NNN et al", the other is with all 4 authors listed;
- one bibliography entry is with italisized authors and journal name, the other is not.

This is persistent whatever bibliography style I select.

When I look at the database, both entries look normal.

I am using Zotero Standalone 3.0b1, Windows 7 64-bit, LibreOffice3.4.

Please advise.
  • You can post screenshots by uploading them to a free image hosting site such as imageshack.us and posting the link here.

If one of your citations has a grey background and the other one doesn't that means that for whatever reason the one without the grey background is not linked to Zotero at all.
    Did you insert them at the same time and in the same way?
  • Here are the screenshots:
    http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8264/ref1.png
    http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2278/ref2.png

>If one of your citations has a grey background and the other one
    >doesn't that means that for whatever reason the one without the
    >grey background is not linked to Zotero at all.
    But Zotero does change the content of _both_ entries when I change the bibliography style, so I believe it is linked to Zotero.

>Did you insert them at the same time and in the same way?
    Yes.
  • which citation style is this (i.e. the one in the screenshots?)
    I'm still confused by the grey/non-grey but the et-al could just be the result of how the et-al rules are coded.

The italics look like something is going wrong with that first citation and it's picking up italics from somewhere - not sure why. See if you can replicate that in a new document.
  • >which citation style is this
    Am. Physiol. Ass. 6th Ed

> the et-al could just be the result of how the et-al rules are coded
    You are right, seems that the style keeps up to 4 names. Sorry for the false alarm.

>See if you can replicate that in a new document.
    That's a big mystery. If I make a citation in a blank document, it is not in italics. If copy just that citation to a blank document (I even do clear formatting for the whole document), the biblio entry is in italics. This is always with the 1st entry. The others are ok. If the 1st entry moves down by another entry, it becomes non-italic. Also, only the 1st citation is grayed.

I still cannot find _what_ should I do with a paragraph or fonts or whatever to spoil/heal the biblio formatting...
  • Do I undestand correctly that this only ever happens with the "Dong et al" reference?
    If that's the case, could you export that reference as Zotero RDF (right-click---> Export Selected Items) no notes or files, open the saved .rdf file with a text editor, copy the entire content, paste it to a public gist at gist.github.com and provide the link here?

This _might_ be related to this: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18667/disappearing-italics-in-bibliography-mla/
    (look towards the end of the thread) but I'm not sure, doesn't quite make sense to me.

As for a workaround - if I understand you correctly inserting a dummy citation by Aaron Aarkvard should take care of this, right?
  • >Do I undestand correctly that this only ever happens with the
    >"Dong et al" reference?
    No, any 1st entry in the bibliography is like this. And it is immediately amended if another one pops up before it.

>This _might_ be related to this
    Not really. In that thread the whole bibliography was affected by the 1st entry; in my case wrong is only the 1st one. Therefore there is no need in workaround: I can correct the wrong italics at the end of editing.