Speeding up

Hello,

I have imported a large library (don't know how large) and Zotero standalone is very slow now. I have a (rocket) fast computer with an SSD and CPU i7 2600K and a lot of memory, but obviously Zotero wants more.

Are there ways of speeding it up, maybe at the expense of some functionality losses?
  • No need to create multiple threads, but how big is your library? If it's something like 70-100K items, it may be slow no matter what, because the software hasn't been tested on such large collections and the resultant limitations that it hits haven't been worked out and overcome.

But we need more information on what is slow, and how big the library is, before giving any real advice.
  • For reference, libraries of up to 10.000 items are not really slow in my experience.
  • >No need to create multiple threads,
    Disagree. That thread was about library metadata, which I believe are missing, this one is about the speed. This is correctly reflected in the subject fields.

>but how big is your library?
    Slow is the initial start. Slow is any switching between the sub-collections. And slow is any search. Any of those take a minute or longer.
  • Zotero 3.0 has improved performance across the board, and to searches in particular, so try that first. It's a beta, but it's quite stable and safe to use.

Also, what version of Firefox are you using?
  • Ah, sorry, didn't tell about this: I use Zotero Standalone 3.0b1, Windows 7 64-bit. I use it with Chrome and LibreOffice3.4. Btw, OOo (or Java) didn't want Zotero, so I switched to LOo, as was advised here; that helped.
  • edited August 26, 2011
    Slow is the initial start.
    The initial start will be slow with very large libraries because Zotero caches lots of data at startup.
    Slow is any switching between the sub-collections.
    Switching between collections shouldn't be slow unless they're very big collections. You should also try with the tag selector closed.
    And slow is any search.
    What search mode? Is "Title & Creator" slow?

In any case, we'd need Debug IDs for individual actions to debug.
  • >You should also try with the tag selector closed.
    This is THE answer! When I close it, the start, switching between collections and search are all fast, matter of seconds on my 27k library. With the tag selector open, even switching to an empty collection lasts about a minute.
    Thanks!