Item Type Request: Datasets, e.g., as described in Global ID Dataverse HDL standard

Dear Developers:

In political science there are standard formats for citing widely used datasets. How can these be incorporated into Zotero, as we would cite books and journals?

The Dataverse Network Project has a set of proposed standards for how to identify and cite datasets that are housed on dataverse servers.

http://thedata.org/citation/standard

I believe that the Dataverse Network Project contains sufficient information to create a new Zotero object type.

Datasets are not currently in the list of item types along with, for example, Book, Journal Article, and Blog. The developer site here at Zotero describes how to create custom entries in your list of item types, but cautions that you may cause Zotero to become incompatible with updates and other sites in so doing.

Please drop me a line if you've got any experience with proposing new item types for the Zotero development process. I'd be happy to help explain the fields in the Dataverse Network Project standard, but I don't want to risk breaking my installation of Zotero.

Thank you-