Re. Zotero 3.0b1 and Standalone.

Congratulations. This is very nice. It takes a bit of time--maximum 5 minutes, maybe--getting used to things. I like the red search bar that pops up, as well as the duplicates features, though one has to be careful with the latter because it identifies things that may not be real duplicates, i.e., an article published in two separate parts or issues of a journal, etc. But once one knows this, one can compensate. Very nice.
  • Thanks. We'll be improving the duplicate detection algorithm in future releases. More on that here:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19230/30b1-duplicate-detection-question/
  • So far so good on day 2. No major bugs encountered yet (except FF6 on XP x86 the installation of standalone failed to request settings import from FF).

Really great work. On time for the academic and school year and I imagine you have all been particularly busy over the last few months.
  • I just wanted to say well done on a major improvement to Zotero. I have been waiting for duplicate detection for ages and have just used the new feature to clean up my library. Brilliant.

I love the new winword integration - very slick, although I got a bit of a surprise when the red bar first popped up.

Great work all round.
  • Concerning the red bar, can someone explain how it works? I know that I can type in a word, and any entry in the database containing that word will be listed below the red bar. However, when I select an entry from the list, I get the author's surname and the data of publication, i.e., Smith, (1995). But what does one do at that point? I do notice that no reference appears in the footnote at the bottom of the page, except for a super-scripted footnote number and the expression {Citation}. Is that what is supposed to happen? When does the actual reference appear? Am I not following the right steps here?
  • edited August 25, 2011
    Click behind the entry so that you get a blinking line and then press enter.

Or maybe it's simplier to just use the keyboard and select the right citation with enter and then press enter again
  • Neat neat neat that new interface.

Small visual suggestion: the Z seems not in line with the icons in the other applications: a bit too fat. Or is that because standalone has a similar fat Z?
  • edited August 25, 2011
    asplunfj: Got it. "Click behind the entry so that you get a blinking line and then press ENTER twice. If ENTER is pressed only once, one gets --> {citation} Thanks.