Zotero 5 and OO plugin

I have a MacBook with OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). I use Zotero with OpenOffice 3.3.0 and Firefox 5.0.1. Everything is fine. When I was promoted to upgrade to Firefox 6, up popped a disturbing message saying the OpenOffice plugin was not compatible and would be disabled. I canceled and did not upgrade.

Is there a way to use Zotero/OO with Firefox 6, or should I wait to upgrade?

Thanks.
  • The OO extension is definitely compatible with Firefox 6. Go to Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions. What version of the OO plugin do you have?

You should have 3.5b1. If not, click on the gear icon in the top right and select Check for Updates or redownload from the installation page.
  • Thanks Dan. I have 3.5a2, so I guess I need to get the right plug-in. I tried the "check for updates" and I got back a message saying there were none. I downloaded the 3.5b1 plug-in but it wouldn't install. I got a message saying it was incompatible with my version of OO.

Should I get Firefox 5 and then re-download 3.5b1? I really can't afford to lose my ability to plug citations into OO.
  • Sorry I meant to ask whether I should get Firefox 6, disable the current plug-in in OO, and redownload 3.5b2.

Thanks again.
  • Can you provide the whole error message you get when you try to install 3.5b1?
  • Sure. The message was in a popup box that pointed to the green puzzle piece to the left of the URL and said:

Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not be installed because it is not compatible with Firefox 5.0.1

I can email you a screen shot if you need it.

Thanks.
  • edited August 21, 2011
    It sounds like you either downloaded the wrong version of the plugin, or there's something wrong with your Firefox installation. Make sure you are downloading 3.5b1 (not 3.1b1, which is also linked from that page) and if that doesn't help, try reinstalling Firefox.
  • Thank you, thank you. I was able to install 3.5b1 this time and updated to Firefox 6.0 so all is right with the world.

Egg on my face. A case of operator error, I'm sure. Much appreciated.