Firefox 4.0.1 - Full Screen Problem: Opening pdfs

Hi *,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to report this issue or a firefox forum so please advise me when this is the wrong place.

I just updated to from ff 4.0 to ff 4.0.1 (both with zotero 2.1.6). Now every time when I run zotero in full screen mode and open a pdf document from one of my reference entries, the new pdf is opened BUT ff also opens an empty new tab (I don't use the pdf plugin for ff). This only happens with the new ff 4.0.1. As I said, this might be a ff problem but should affect all zotero users. Is this a known issue? For now, I downgraded to ff 4.0 again...

Thx
Steve
  • Hi *,

I just updated to the new zotero (2.1.7). The above described issue is still present:
    As soon as I update to ff 4.0.1 and use zotero in fullscreen mode (no other tabs open), it always opens an empty tab when I open a pdf from my library (I use Adobe Acrobat 9 to open pdfs, not the ff Adobe plugin).

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Thanks much!
  • Update: I tested this issue on a separate PC (Win 7 x64 with FF 4.0.1 and Zotero 2.1.7) and was able to replicate this issue.
  • Dan,

Thanks for the link. I deleted mimeTypes.rdf but the problem persists. As soon as I downgrade to ff 4.0, the problem is gone. I suppose ff 4.0.1 did some changes that causes this behavior.

For now, I do not use zotero's full-screen mode (which is a pity because it works so well). Any other ideas of what can be done?

Best
    Steve
  • edited June 23, 2011
    I just updated to ff 5.0 and I still get an empty tab as soon as I open a pdf from my library:

To recap:
    This happens with ff 4.0.1 and 5.0 (but not ff 4.0) + zotero 2.1.7 & 2.1.8 on Win 7 x64. I use zotero in full screen mode. As soon as I open a pdf from my library, an empty tab is opened (and the pdf opens in Adobe Acrobat 10 in a separate window).

The same issue can be reproduced on a separate machine (running xp and ff 5 + zotero 2.1.8). Anyone else experiencing this? This probably is a ff issue but maybe someone knows a work around...

Thanks!
  • I just updated to ff 6.0: still the same problem. Does anybody experience the same issue:

I still get an empty tab as soon as I open a pdf from my library:
    This happens with ff 4.0.1, 5.0, and 6.0 (but not ff 4.0) + zotero 2.1.7 & 2.1.8 on Win 7 x64. I use zotero in full screen mode (This ONLY happens in full screen mode). As soon as I open a pdf from my library, an empty tab is opened (and the pdf opens in Adobe Acrobat 10 in a separate window).
  • Can anyone confirm this behavior on his/her PC. Also, if anyone thinks this posting belongs in a ff forum & has nothing to do with zotero, please let me know and I stop posting here.
  • Thanks Dan. I just solved the problem. It was not the profile.

Instead, I set the hidden preference "extensions.zotero.launchNonNativeFiles" to true and now everything works as before.
  • Well, that doesn't mean it's not the profile, unless you actually tried in a new profile. If there's no plugin for a particular content type, launchNonNativeFiles shouldn't have any effect, since Zotero should launch the file anyway through the same mechanism. All launchNonNativeFiles does is override opening the file in Firefox itself when Firefox claims something can handle it internally. So if that wasn't happening before, then something was likely amiss in your file-handling settings in that profile.

But if you're happy using launchNonNativeFiles, that's fine too.