Display of Libraries online

This is a very minor, but I think necessary feature request. Upon displaying a group, I get a list of recently added items ordered by time of deposit. This is good. When I click on a library, the list is still ordered by the deposit date, which I find very confusing. For libraries, I would like a display ordered by author better if a custom sort order is more difficult to make. Even better - that might be pushing it - I think a group should have its output style and the group library should be a properly formatted bibliography!

Background: I have started to point to public group libraries as reading lists. It would be so simple to have a proper reading list and so much more effective, since normally a resource would not have to be opened to see all that is important.

For the rest: very good work!

michael
  • Until web-based sorting comes along, is there anything I can do in my computer-based Zotero program to re-sort (or tag, or something?) my items so that when I sync them to my web-based library and groups, they will appear ordered by Creator?

I feel like a poor host when I invite someone to join one of my groups and the online collection is all mixed up.

Clare
  • no, not at the moment. Items are ordered by date added and as of now that's not possible to change.
  • Any movement on this?
  • I am sharing my library with my professor that I work for. It is confusing for him, to only be able to see all literature by upload date. I agree that more listing options would be of great help. Anyone now about possible updates on that issue? Thanks, it's great working with Zotero.
  • I would like to ask help on how the group library I have created can be accessed by other users online by just giving them the group name. Is this possible,I have tried with vain, could somebody help me please!
  • If it's a public group they can search for the name http://www.zotero.org/search/#group . If it's a private group then they need to be invited to join it before they can access it.
  • Thank you Fcheslack, the ideas you gave solved my problem. It is perfect now, many thanks again
  • I really need to be able to see my library online organized by creator. It's hard to see what's there unless they're in alphabetical, not date order. Is this feature coming soon?
  • I'll echo the requests for the ability to organize group libraries by creator... it's a very necessary feature.
  • edited March 7, 2011
    I will love to see this feature added to the online version of the library. I have created a group and many potential members have expressed that it is not user friendly if they cannot sort/search online according to their needs. It is hard do convince them that zotero is a great tool w/o this option (I do believe is a great tool regardless) :)
  • You're right that this needs to be fixed. There's a bundle of site redesign, presumably including basic navigation like this, somewhere on the horizon, and I hope it's coming soon.
  • Agreed! I need to be able to sort the group library in multiple ways - frustrating to only be able to order the papers by date added!
  • no need to keep requesting this - it's being worked on and more posts won't speed things up.
  • If you'd like to follow the cryptic messages that indicate the progress being made, you can periodically take a look at https://www.zotero.org/trac/timeline -- there the site improvements are not visible, but they're logged (alongside the client and dataserver changes, which are visible). I'm convinced it's going to be a grand new site-- and we're all itching to see it.
  • I'd also like to express my support for alternative web-based sorting options.

Additionally being able to search would be nice. Fields such as tags, publication date, publication (or entry) type, author, first author, last author, publisher, publication name (for journals), title, abstract, etc.
  • There's no need to express support for this—both sorting and searching are obvious additions, and they've already been implemented internally, as adamsmith and ajlyon said above.

They'll be coming online within the next couple weeks—not immediately with the new site (since we're finishing some additional indexing behind the scenes), but soon after.
  • the timeline thing is cool. hard to know what a given thing means though. searching for "sort" brings up some enhancements that look promising, but they don't seem to correspond to my everyday use of zotero.
  • Hi,
    Zotero is since today part of my world, and I am confused about a thing so I hope I post on the right topic.
    Well I first made adds to zotero, and afterwards made an account on zotero. Is there any possibility to copy the present library also to the online library on my account?
    Br
  • dzenanakatica - yes: http://www.zotero.org/support/sync
    If you have more questions, please start a new thread.