Report number: 889548452 Cannot add a new reference!!

Report Number: 889548452
I have been trying to add a new citation to both a new and existing word document. But whenever I attempt to add a new citation through Zotero it says "you must place the cursor in the zotero citation to edit it", although I am adding not editing an existing citation.

This has only recently started happening, please help.

thanks
  • What are the exact steps you're taking to reproduce this in a new, empty document?
  • I just opened word and clicked blank document.
  • 1. Start Zotero first.
    2. Add the DOI from the academic paper I intend to cite to the zotero folder
    3. In a new word document, I click on the zotero word plug-in and then the add/edit citation button
    4. the error: "you must place the cursor in the zotero citation to edit it then occurs
  • What exact version of Word is this?

If you haven't, try reinstalling the Word plugin from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences and then restarting Word.

And just to be clear, you're clicking Add/Edit Citation in a totally empty, blank document with nothing else in it? Generally we would expect this from either using an old Zotero macro directly or using Add/Edit Citation in a corrupted document with an invalid field.