"Experienced an error" but only in Google Docs

Bug report D49939231. I have been invited to a shared document and a shared Zotero collection. When I try to add a citation in these documents, I get the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

In a new blank Google document, it works.

If I save an unshared copy of the file I want to work on in Google docs, it does not.

If I download the file as a Word doc and open it in Word on my desktop, it works.

What am I doing wrong?
  • Restart your browser. When you interact with Zotero in the document and get the prompt to authenticate, make sure you select the account that has access to the file you're trying to edit.
  • Restarted with cleared cache, definitely logged into the correct Google account. Now it breaks without the error message, in both Firefox and Chrome (MacOS), with the following debug output:

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP Integration Error" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/connector/server_connectorIntegration.js" line: 67}]

[JavaScript Error: "HTTP Integration Error" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/connector/server_connectorIntegration.js" line: 67}]

version => 6.0.13, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.16, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0.13, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.13, extension), Zotero Word for Mac Integration (6.0.2.SA.6.0.13, extension)

(5)(+6340200): POST /connector/document/execCommand HTTP/1.1 Host: 127.0.0.1:23119 Connection: keep-alive Content-Length: 73 sec-ch-ua: "Google Chrome";v="105", "Not)A;Brand";v="8", "Chromium";v="105" X-Zotero-Version: 5.0.97 Content-Type: application/json X-Zotero-Connector-API-Version: 2 sec-ch-ua-mobile: ?0 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/105.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 sec-ch-ua-platform: "macOS" Accept: */* Origin: chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc Sec-Fetch-Site: none Sec-Fetch-Mode: cors Sec-Fetch-Dest: empty Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, br Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9,es;q=0.8

(5)(+0000000): {"command":"addEditCitation","docId":"1y1E_KeTu8Fv5dz-lRbuPyc3o-6L96zPI"}

(3)(+0000000): Integration: http-addEditCitation:'1y1E_KeTu8Fv5dz-lRbuPyc3o-6L96zPI' invoked

(3)(+0000003): Integration: Request already in progress; not executing http addEditCitation

(5)(+0000000): HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable X-Zotero-Version: 6.0.13 X-Zotero-Connector-API-Version: 2 Content-Type: text/plain Integration transaction is already in progress
  • AHA!

This appears to be an issue with the document being uploaded from Word. For some reason it wasn't throwing the proper error message ("Zotero integration is not available when editing Microsoft Word .docx files directly in Google Docs. Choose File → Save as Google Docs to enable this functionality.") and just gave the generic one.

It seems to work fine if I re-save to Google Docs.