Cannot read properties of undefined

edited September 26, 2022
Report ID: 761530019

The zotero button appears in my google document. But when I try to insert a footnote it either stays on updating or doesnt activitate zotero at all.

I tried:
- Restarting chrome (Versie 105.0.5195.127 (Officiƫle build) (64-bits))
- Restarting zotero
-restarting computer, forcing an update (everything up to date now. Windows 10)
- removing cookies and cache from chrome profile
- disabling other extensions
- removing and re adding zotero extension
- using firefox with same google profile
- using other documents

Any help available ?
:)
  • If this is the first time you're using Zotero with Google, or if you are signed in with multiple Google accounts, when interacting with Zotero in Google Docs, you should first see a browser prompt that asks you to allow Zotero to interact with Google Docs. Afterwards you should see a citation window from Zotero. Restart your browser and Zotero, then attempt to use it in Google Docs. Make sure you check for these windows, if they do not show up automatically.
  • I have used zotero often, but i did notice I did not get the permission windows this time. I dont know how to force them appearing, restarting chrome and zotero has not worked.
  • If you see the "Please wait..." screen in Google Docs, it means some window is waiting your interaction, either in Zotero or your browser. Some browser settings may prevent popups from showing, so that is worth investigating.
  • I have disabled my adblocker, checked the google permissions and allowed popups and adverts in the settings. Without improvements
  • Did you look through Zotero windows whether a citation dialog or document properties window is open?
  • Yes the first time i start it in a new document it opens the document preferences window (select style) but after selecting it it doesnt open the authorisation window nor the source selection bar.

Only the progress bar is shown without any results.
  • Could you restart Zotero and Chrome, then produce a Debug ID from Zotero for what you described seeing above?
  • D1033971296.

D121901936.

When i opened a new document it worked. It still didnt have me authorise zotero however. Old documents are also working again.

I think i have restarted both programs 20 times today, so lets just thank the zotero gods that bless me this day. And its diligent and wonderfull moderators like you adomasven that help me to not manually insert my footnotes,

Thank you!
  • The Debug ID is D517038229.

Had a zotero update and the problem immediatly returned.

Restarted my chrome and zotero, restarted the computer.
    Tried a new document. It now asks for permission like it used to, i have to login.

But it shows a loading bar and never progresses.
  • Got one footnote in, after serveral reloads. And the next one bugs out.

D1871614046
  • Can you produce a Debug ID from Zotero (after restarting Zotero and the browser)?
  • D2014037994

restarted zotero and browser
  • Sorry, I wasn't more specific above. We need a Debug ID form Zotero client, not the Connector in your browser.
  • D828784146 client
    D2061215649. browser

Had them both restarted.
  • If you open the developer tools in the Google Docs document (by pressing F12, or Ctrl-Shift-i) and switch to the console tab, do you see any errors/output? Can you copy it all, paste it somewhere (like pastebin.com) and post the link here?
  • single-file-hooks-frames.js:1 SingleFile is hooking the FontFace constructor, document.fonts.delete and document.fonts.clear to handle dynamically loaded fonts.
    y @ single-file-hooks-frames.js:1
    bind?id=1iNgp77BdVuEvLkRbOxTkRaTd7Qj_MU6p_Js2fJBCEEE&sid=51e1dcf08a07bf17&token=AC4w5ViLaEm0tncPKQ6WOcDaVtaFDhy6VQ%3A1664790663030&includes_info_params=true&VER=8&lsq=1664785663923&u=16921501124704362280&vc=1&c=1&w=1&flr=0&gsi=0&ssfi=592&smv=24&cimpl=1&RID=rpc&SID=D1E3A84191E09D65&CI=0&AID=58&TYPE=xmlhttp&zx=jg62f3oujd2g&t=1:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NETWORK_IO_SUSPENDED
    bind?id=1iNgp77BdVuEvLkRbOxTkRaTd7Qj_MU6p_Js2fJBCEEE&sid=51e1dcf08a07bf17&token=AC4w5ViLaEm0tncPKQ6WOcDaVtaFDhy6VQ%3A1664790663030&includes_info_params=true&VER=8&lsq=1664785663923&u=16921501124704362280&vc=1&c=1&w=1&flr=0&gsi=0&ssfi=4173&smv=24&cimpl=1&RID=rpc&SID=D1E3A84191E09D65&CI=0&AID=59&TYPE=xmlhttp&zx=damzfdqgjg04&t=2:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 ()

Does this work ?
  • edited October 3, 2022
    And you can confirm that it doesn't work on firefox either? How about if you create a new Google Chrome profile? If it does not, can you take a screen recording of an attempt to insert a citation that hangs, upload it somewhere (like dropbox) and post a link here?
  • While I had tried it on firefox many times, today it seems to be working. I retried in chrome directly after and still got the loading bar. Firefox and chrome are using the same user profile. The problem seems so all over the place.
  • If you cannot reproduce it on Firefox again, especially if it disappears after restarting Zotero and Firefox, it indicates an issue with your Chrome profile (or extensions).
  • could it be a conflict with the extension offline documents https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-docs-offline/ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi

I removed it and now it seems to work again, might bug out later.

This is a very standard extension tough...