Copy paste breaks citation links in Google Docs

I have the zotero connector running. I'm using Google Docs

I can run zotero refresh in the original document and everything is linked

I start a new blank document (or existing document with citations, same problem) and copy and paste some text (ctrl c + ctrl v)

All citations become unlinked

I've tried v1 & v2 of the google docs integration from the new beta, no luck. I'm on Firefox
  • edited September 22, 2022
    Can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for reproducing this?

Also, does this happen with all other extensions disabled?
  • Thanks for your reply. The debug ID is D1401509694 with the situation I had before (additional extensions enabled)

I will try now with other extensions disabled and report back
  • Same behaviour with all other extensions disabled (debug ID D716977251 if you want to check)

At the moment I'm pasting into a blank document, but I also tried a document with existing, linked citations, and same issue
  • What browser and what version is this? When you paste text with citations in a new document do you wait until the document is fully loaded? After paste do you see a Zotero overlay asking to wait while Zotero updates the document?
  • Sorry for late reply, was away for two weeks

As I already mentioned above, I'm on firefox. I used the latest version at the time of my post. In advanced settings I find this listed "lastVersion 5.0.98beta3"

Note I've tried both v1 and v2 of the Google Docs integration and experience the same issue both times
  • >> When you paste text with citations in a new document do you wait until the document is fully loaded?

Yes, I wait and run Zotero refresh to ensure everything is ok

>> After paste do you see a Zotero overlay asking to wait while Zotero updates the document?

No, this doesn't appear

• Do you have other extensions installed in Firefox? Have you tried disabling them? Can you test this in a new Firefox profile just with the Zotero Connector Beta installed?
  • Issue still occurs with all other extensions disabled
  • Did you test in a new Firefox profile with just the Zotero Connector Beta installed?
  • I have tried on a new profile with just the Zotero Connector Beta installed and still experiencing the same issue. Were you able to debug the issue from the previous debug IDs I posted in this thread?
  • There is nothing indicating something being obviously wrong in your debug logs. It's hard to say what is causing this since copying citations in Google Docs on Firefox definitely works, or we'd be getting many more reports of this from our users. Does citing work fine in a new document? Does copying work from one new document to another new document? Does it work if you use a different citation style? If none of these work, can you create a new windows user account on this computer and see if it works then?
  • Citing generally works fine within a single document (new or existing), also copy and pasting within one document seems to be fine .

The issue is pasting into a different document. It isn't always broken, the other day I did a few fine. But with the example I have, when I paste the whole document or just a small subset, every single citation becomes unlinked, even though in the original document Zotero refresh runs smoothly and I can add additional citations or even copy paste fine (from source within same document).

New doc -> single citation -> paste to new doc works fine. But the times it breaks seems to be for big documents with a lot of text & citations.

Using a different citation style in the target doc does not fix my broken example.

If collaborators have worked on it, is it possible they broke the links by eg not having Zotero connector running in their browser? I can't think of any other options now. The other thing is I'm accessing Google docs via a corporate account.

I have no access to Windows unfortunately
  • Right, I did not realize you are copying whole documents. Generally you can make copies of your documents with Zotero citations intact via the File -> Copy option in Google Docs. We don't really test the copy-pasting feature for whole documents, although in theory it should work.

Can you produce a small sample document where copying citations from it into a new document doesn't work and share it with support@zotero.org? We can then take a look.