Bug: Audio recording performer/composer not exporting properly to bib(la)tex

Composer and performer fields do not export properly to either bibtex or biblatex. In bibtex they end up as "editora" with "editoratype collaborator". I do not know what those fields correspond to. With biblatex we end up with "Collaborator" for composer, and "author" for performer. This is somewhat better, but still broken.

BibLatex:
@audio{performernameMusicSoloPerformer1982,
title = {Music For Solo Performer},
publisher = {Lovely Music Ltd.},
editora = {{ComposerName}, A and {PerformerName}, B},
editoratype = {collaborator},
urldate = {2019-06-09},
date = {1982},
langid = {english},
}

BibTex:
@misc{performernameMusicSoloPerformer1982,
title = {Music {For} {Solo} {Performer}},
language = {en},
urldate = {2019-06-09},
publisher = {Lovely Music Ltd.},
author = {PerformerName, B},
collaborator = {ComposerName, A},
year = {1982},
}
  • What do you expect them to show up as?
  • edited September 15, 2022
    I would expect composer to be exported as composer, performer as performer.
    Even just an author field to be exported to author might be better (not available).

I could work with both composer and performer ending up as author, but "editora / collaborator" for both composer and performer is not something workable.
  • I mean, we can't just make up fields. If you have a request for a change to a standard format, you need to link to documentation backing up your request (and certainly should do so before calling it "broken").

Exporting author for Performer and collaborator for Composer seems reasonable to me. Generally, Zotero maps Performer to Author (e.g., to CSL author).

Combining the performer and the composer into a single field as editoratype = {collaborator} seems like a bug. We can look into why that's happening. (And that's BibLaTeX, to be clear — you have that backwards in your original description.)

Related discussion from Better BibTeX, for reference: https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/1146#issue-418949276
  • Fair enough, and sorry if my tone/reporting didn't come across correctly.
    To be clear, I am not requesting any deviation from standard practices/fields, but was confused about the correct usage.

If you agree that the fact that biblatex exports to a single editoratype is unexpected that clears things up to me. I would be happy to see Performer be mapped to author, and collaborator to Composer, as you suggest (and as you say that is what Zotero generally does). If you are able to take a look at that, that would be great indeed. In the meantime I will use the book type, and see if I can use keywords or something to distinquish it as audio somehow.

Thanks