style request: [Hastings Center Report]

Like IEEE, except
1) No brackets around endnotes, rather 1.
2) parentheses around book publisher info (Cold Spring Harbor, NY: CSHL Press, 2001).
3) articles slightly different, instead of "vol." and p. --> "38, no.5 (2001): pp."
4) edited volumes, eds at end becomes --> "Great Expectations," in BOOK, ed. EDITORS
  • One more, I forgot.
    5) More than 3 authors -->first author et al.
  • link to information at http://www.thehastingscenter.org/Publications/HCR/Guidelines.aspx
  • edited November 24, 2009
    is there a link to a style guide? - ah, OK, thanks.
  • Try Chicago Manual of Style, full notes with bibliography, in the word plugin select endnotes. That seems to be what they want.
  • 15 years later, I'm writing to follow up on this. I publishing a paper in the Hastings Center Report, which has unusual citation format requirements. It requires a numerical superscript, like the journal Nature; First name initials before last name (like IEEE format), and then everything else is Chicago manual of style. There is a hastings template in the zotero database, but it's not accurate. I spent three hours today trying to do code editing to make this work, and have failed. It's beyond my expertise. Normally I'd to it all manually, but this is a paper with over 100 references. Anyone feel motivated to tackle this?

ps the Nov. 29, 2009 comment by adamsmith did not work.

Here's an example of HCR:

Journal Article:
    4. G. J. Annas, “Whose Waste Is It Anyway? The Case of John Moore,” Hastings Center Report 18, no. 5 (1988): 37-39, at 38.
    5. See T. A. Shannon and A. B. Wolter, “Reflections on the Moral Status of the Pre-Embryo,” Theological Studies 51 (1990): 603-26.
    6. Annas, “Whose Waste?,” 38.
  • What's wrong with the current Hastings Center style? That looks exactly like what you have here?
  • Thanks for your prompt response, Adam!

When I use the HCR package the endnote list is "i, ii, iii,..." instead of numerical "1, 2, 3, ...". If I change the document preferences to footnotes instead, then there is no numeration in the bibliography. I had a similar problem when trying Chicago style
  • You can toggle the enndnote number format from Roman to Arabic numerals in Word -- easy to Google how exactly with your Word version
  • Thanks again. This helps a little, but the job is incomplete. For some reason, only about half of the in-text citations get numbers, the rest get author-date format. It could be that this is happening for repeated in-text citations.
  • That's unrelated to the style (styles can't mix notes and in-text citations even if we wanted them to). Some part of the conversion isn't working -- that'd be the same with any citation style.

You can try switching back to whichever style you were using before and then switching to HCT with footnotes, see if that works, and then switch to endnotes (which for some reason are wonkier in Word). Beyond that https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents