First Sync Error

There is another post by this title, but it doesn't seem to have a resolution. Hence my new discussion topic. I have just set up Zotero on my work PC (Win XP) and am trying to sync to this new install. I keep getting the "empty response from the server" error.

Here's the detail:

Error Report: 582142860

[JavaScript Error: "Overwriting translator with same filename 'JurPC.js' in Zotero.Schema.updateBundledFiles()" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/schema.js" line: 381}]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Empty response from server"]
  • Is this with your current username? If so, have you cleared server data since receiving this error? (You don't show as having any data.)

This could be caused by a large library on the server—if you managed to upload it (which is mainly what that other thread you posted to is about), there's still a possible timeout you could get pulling it back down. But this is also something that we'll be able to address in the near future with the new syncing architecture that debuted along with 2.0b7.5.
  • I tried to restore from my Mac so that I could synch with a new Firefox instance on my work PC. After upgrading to 7.5 I still get a variety of errors when trying to synch to my mdobe account from my Mac laptop.

I think the large size DB issue is killing me on this. My DB on my Mac laptop has over 14,000 entries. I have tried copying and breaking this DB out into smaller DBs, but the task is absolutely daunting. In my main DB, I've copied so many citations to different collections that I end up blowing away records when I try to clean up.

The DB on my Mac is working very well, so I guess I will go back to the sneaker net approach of copying to a portable external drive, bringing that copy in to work, and restoring to the network. Fortunately the DB is cross platform, so I assume this will work as it has with previous releases of Zotero.
  • Tried to have another go at it, and I got the following error on my Mac.

Report ID: 493284641

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Empty response from server' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "<unknown>" data: no]"]
  • That's just the timeout I mentioned above. Give it another try.
  • edited November 28, 2009
    Tried it again. The sync failed. Here's the error report.

Report ID: 239880554

[errors removed – D.S.]
  • No need to post the errors here. You're still getting "Empty response from server", and the other errors have nothing to do with Zotero.

After you try the first time and get "Empty response from server", data will be cached on the server. If you try a few times in a row, you should be able to get it to go through—I've tested it and it worked fine after a couple minutes.

After the initial pull, by the way, you shouldn't have trouble with subsequent syncs (as long you don't use the reset options).