Plug-in Install Error: Add-ons incompatible with this version of Zotero

I am updating my Zotero on surface tablet with plug-ins from the Zotero site. Every time I attempt to install a new plug-in, I am receiving error message "The add-on "" could not be installed. It may be incompatible with this version of Zotero.

I re-installed both the basic Zotero-6 & beta but no luck.
  • Try closing Zotero and deleting extensions.json and the 'extensions' folder in your Zotero profile directory.
  • I'm having the same issue and that fix didn't work for me.
  • Can you provide a Report ID?
  • 1664945611338 addons.xpi WARN Invalid XPI: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIZipReader.open]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm :: loadManifest :: line 1529" data: no] Stack trace: loadManifest()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:1529
    init()@resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIInstall.jsm:2003
    It looks like the plugin you're trying to install is invalid, or at least Zotero can't open it. Make sure you're actually trying to add an XPI file (e.g., not a webpage you saved with Save Page As). You would get the above message dragging any random file into the Add-ons window.

If you're running any third-party security software, or if there's a problem with the permissions in your Zotero profile directory, that could also be interfering.
  • I definitely have the correct XPI file and I'm not running third-party security software. The permissions to the Zotero profile directory look fine to me. So I deleted Zotero and reinstalled it but I'm still getting the same error. Any ideas?
  • Just for context, I'm trying to install better bibtex, which releases stable versions frequently, so the plugin itself definitely isn't the problem
  • edited October 18, 2022
    You can try deleting other files in your Zotero profile directory or creating a new Zotero profile. This is just the Firefox extensions system, so there's not much we can say here.

(If you create a new profile, make sure you point it at your existing Zotero data directory, and delete any new empty data directory it creates in your home folder. Don't sync and populate a separate data directory.)
  • I'm trying to install better bibtex, which releases stable versions frequently, so the plugin itself definitely isn't the problem
    You should still obviously try installing another extension, like Zutilo, just to be sure.
  • If you rename the xpi to zip, you should be able to view its contents. If that doesn't work, you don't actually have a xpi.
  • I ran into this issue and deleting the extensions.json and extensions folder worked but is there a way to fix it without having to re-install and reconfigure all my addons?