Open PDF in Zotero PDF Viewer while staying in My Library with Ctrl+Enter

I would like to open several PDF files successively from My Library to read together later. I don't want to go to the PDF file directly, but just open it with a few other selected files before reading them.

If I open the PDF file (Enter or double click), it directly goes to the Zotero PDF Viewer tab. So I have to go back to My Library every time to open a new PDF file.

I can select multiple items and then press Enter. But as soon as I have selected multiple items in the library, I cannot see the metadata anymore when navigating the library. I also loose the ability to see the PDF preview (with the PDF Preview plugin) before opening it.

In Chrome or Firefox, I can just do Ctrl+Left click, and it will open the link in a new tab in the background.
Would it be possible to implement a similar shortcut Ctrl+Enter (and Ctrl+Double click) in Zotero to open the PDF file in a new tab in the background, still staying in the library?
At the moment, Ctrl+Enter does exactly the same as simply pressing Enter, so adding this new shortcut should not break any other feature?