Keep Zotero entries closed when opening Zotero

Dear community, I wonder if there is a way to keep the entries of the library closed when opening up Zotero.

Whenever I open Zotero, all entries unfold and show all details as notes, and PDFs which makes the first view unclear. I rather have all entries closed and only manually opened up when I want to take a closer look at an entry.

So, whenever I open up Zotero I often start closing all opened-up entries to get a better overview, but this starts to take time since the library is getting bigger and bigger.

thanks for help
Frido
  • I found my answer by searching in the forum for "Show only top-level items". Hope this is helpful too for some other person. The search engine in Zotero has various options. Use the small arrow on the left side of the search field to change the setting here and you will find some changes in open/ collapsed entries.
  • edited September 4, 2022
    To be clear, this wouldn't be every time you open up Zotero. It would specifically be in a search — saved or otherwise — that matches child items. Use "Title, Creator, Year" mode in the quick search bar or "Show only top-level items" for a saved search to match only top-level items.

Note, too, that if you do a search that matches child items, you can click an item and press "-" on the keyboard to collapse all items.