German quotation marks in title-fields

Hi,

how can I change quotation-marks in the title-field to German quotation marks?

E.g. Citavi has a context-menu-entry, that let you insert different quotation-marks in the title-field.
  • What exactly are you referring to here? What do you mean by "quotation-marks in the title-field"? If you're talking about the literal value of a title in the Title field, we're certainly not going to add an option to convert between different quotation marks, because Zotero is not a German-specific tool, but someone could easily write a plugin to do that.
  • You can't add typographic citation marks (German or English) unless you copy them from somewhere. That said, Zotero citation styles will, when set to German, auto-convert straight quotes to the proper typographic quotation marks for the language to which the citation style is set
  • edited September 2, 2022
    You can't add typographic citation marks (German or English) unless you copy them from somewhere
    (Well, you can — you can just type them using your OS's mechanism for doing so. But as you say, perhaps not worth it if you're just concerned with citation output.)
  • The problem is, that Zotero exports these standard-quotation marks as \textquotedbl into the Latex-Bibfile, which causes conflicts when babel is set to German.

The details:
    Biber converts \textquotedbl to " which makes problems in languages, that use " as shorthand (e.g. babel-german).

This won't happen e.g. with \enquote.
  • Thank you very much for the information..
  • I have found the preference "extensions.zotero.translators.better-bibtex.csquotes". It has the status "default" and the type "string". And value is empty. If I understand the text in the link correctly, I have to enter something in the field "value". But what do I have to enter there?
  • Two (or any even number) of matching opening and closing quotes you want to have changed.
  • But do I have to insert the Latex-codes for the quotation-marks or the quotation-marks themselves? And in the last case: how do I enter them, because Zotero doesn't accept copied quotation-marks.

And one more question:
    My database contains English and German titles. Does this function correct the quotation-marks in German titles to the German quotation-marks, while keeping the English quotation-marks? Because the English quotation-marks aren't exported correct too because of the German babel in the Latex-document.
  • edited September 7, 2022
    Just the quote chars themselves: https://imgur.com/a/nZ1lBzG

This setting replaces them with \enquote{...} or \mkbibquote{...}. The csquotes package should do the rest.
  • For German I think you would enter „“.
  • Unfortunately that doesn't work, I can change the preferences, but when exporting it to the Biblatex-file it makes <ßensibilität"> out of <"sensibilität"> instead of <„sensibilität“>.
  • Please open an issue on github for that.
  • I wouldn't have expected "sensibilität" to be affected by the csquotes option at all. That has just regular Quotation marks, not Double Low-9 Quotation Mark / Left Double Quotation Mark that you used above. The change of s to ß is also unexpected. But I can only dive into this if you open a github issue, you'll get instructions on how to send relevant debug data to me there.