Cannot add PDF file to Zotero from Firefox PDF viewer

When viewing a PDF in Firefox, the Zotero plug-in button does nothing. It would be nice if one could just add the PDF to Zotero from Firefox rather than go via a slightly more cumbersome download route.
  • When you view the PDF on Firefox on the web (i.e. the URL in the address bar starts with HTTP), clicking on the Save to Zotero button (which is the PDF icon then), will save the PDF to Zotero, though you won't get the collection picker dialog you get otherwise -- Firefox doesn't allow that.
    If you're opening the PDF from your local disk (the URL starts with file:) Zotero can't save it for security reasons, so that won't change.
  • I see. Interesting. In the Firefox setting one can choose how to deal with PDF files. There an option to "Open in Firefox" and one to "Always ask". When the latter is selected, one can still chose "Open in Firefox" when asked. However, the two seemingly identical options have very different effects. The latter but not the former actually downloads the file which makes disables the Zotero plug-in. This seems like a Firefox issue then. I am going to file a bug with them.
  • They used to call the former "Preview in Firefox", which differentiated it from downloading. Not sure why they changed that.