How to sync data from local lib towards online lib

Hy,
I don't understand how to sync data from the local lib towards the online lib.
When i press the icon sync located on local lib, data does sync from the online lib towards the local lib, therefore data from the online lib appears on the local lib. I would like to sync the other way round. How to do it ?

Reasons i am doing the sync : working on my local lib while my online lib was opened, i unfortunately deleted a collection of hundred of data. The online lib automatically reflected the mistake in the next second.
solution : On my local lib, i have restored the last backup and retrieved data.
Now i want to sync data in order to update the online lib from data i have on my local lib. I have unchecked all automatic sync from preferences.

thanks for your support
Laurent
  • Syncs always works both ways, since you've reverted to an older backup, sync tries to bring your local version up to date with the latest (in this case unwanted) changes.

What I believe you actually want to do is to replace your online library. This is potentially destructive operation so please read reset options carefully, steps to do this are described there.
  • The reset options are probably overkill here. Laurent, see these instructions, which specifically mention an alternative for collection restoring:

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_data_from_a_backup_and_overwriting_synced_changes

(An upcoming version of Zotero will make it possible to restore deleted collections from the trash.)
  • thanks dstillman and tnajdek for your reply. The procedure "replace the online library" has solved my situation.

Steps i followed thanks to the links you mentioned above :

1. on Zotero local lib go to Zotero preferences/sync/settings/ i unchecked all automatic sync options for data and files
    2. close Zotero local lib
    3. from windows pane, users/..../ zotero/ : i made a back up (.bak) of the (correct version) zotero.sqlite with the copy/paste action.
    4. Open Zotero Online lib
    5. Open Zotero local lib
    6. On Zotero local lib, go to Zotero preferences/Sync/reset
    7. Read the "sync reset options"
    8. Choose the name of the interest library in the drop down list
    9. Check "restore to online library"
    10. Click "reset"
    11. click "ok"
    12. Refresh the online lib page.
    At the first result, after observation and count, only part (70% of the folders) of the collection appeared. I did a second time the action "restore to online library". The second attemp was successull. Data on the online lib have been replaced fully with the local lib.

i use windows 10 and Zotero version 6.0.12.
    Thank you
  • OK, but again, all you had to do in this case was duplicate the collection after restoring from the backup and then sync.