Horizontal scrolling to switch between tabs

I would like to be able to switch between tabs in Zotero with the horizontal scrolling on my mouse, in the same way as in Chrome, for both PDF viewer tabs and tabs in the side pane. It is a small thing, but it would be nice to get the same navigation option from the mouse as in Chrome.
  • Have you updated to 6.0.12 - tab scrolling was introduced in this version.
  • edited August 17, 2022
    I was on the latest beta 6.0.12-beta.10+2d2e78711 on Windows 10. On that version, the horizontal scrolling work fine within the PDF file, when zooming in to make the horizontal scroll bar appear. So the horizontal scrolling on the mouse seems to be correctly mapped to do horizontal scrolling.
    But when I click on the tab header and use the horizontal scrolling (or even vertical scrolling), nothing happens.

I have now installed the 6.0.12 on the same system to test more. It does exactly the same. I have disabled all plugins, but I still see the same.

I also have another workstation with Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with both the latest beta and stable versions. I also observe exactly the same behaviour.

Is it a problem with the settings of my mouse (Logitech MX Master 3)? I have tried to explore the settings, but I could not find anything relevant.
    Is this the expected way to do the tab scrolling? Doing exactly the same process in Chrome works nicely.
  • edited August 17, 2022
    What do you mean by "switch between tabs"?

6.0.12 added horizontal scrolling of the tab bar, as in Firefox (or Chrome if you turn on scrollable-tabstrip, which at least for me isn't enabled by default). This means that you if you have enough tabs for arrows to appear, you can scroll through them by hovering over the tab bar and using Shift-scroll (or by setting the side scroll wheel to "Horizontal scrolling" on the MX Master 3). Both are working for me on macOS.
  • I mean navigate between one tab to another, as mentioned in section "Moving Between Tabs" of the Zotero Keyboard Shortcuts page. This is different from the tab bar scrolling implemented in Zotero 6.0.12 when there is tab overflow.

In Firefox, a feature similar to what I mentioned can be activated by the preference toolkit.tabbox.switchByScrolling in about:config. In that case, both vertical and horizontal scrolling are switching between tabs when hovering over the tab bar, when there is no tab overflow. When the tab overflow is triggered, it recovers the tab bar scrolling behaviour.

The same functionality as this Firefox option, or restricted to horizontal scrolling only when hovering over the tab bar, would both allow me to quickly switch between tabs with the mouse.

After some more research and testing, here is some more information and corrections of my earlier post:

1) The default behaviour of horizontal scrolling I was observing in Chrome on Windows 10 was indeed related to the mouse settings rather than a Chrome feature. It is in the default App-Specific Settings, with the "Horizontal scroll" assigned to "Switch between tabs" (shown as "Navigate between tabs" for me) for Chrome (but not Firefox):
    https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035271133-Getting-Started-MX-Master-3
    In that case, horizontal scrolling switches tabs from anywhere in the page, not only when hovering of the tab bar.
    I could also do the same for Zotero on Windows 10, but then I would loose the horizontal scrolling within the PDF viewer (I could still get it though with Shift + Vertical scrolling). And it will not work on Linux.

2) Surprisingly, this behaviour of switching between tabs when scrolling on tabs is the default behaviour for Chrome on Linux, different from Windows, without any settings from the mouse. It is disabled when activating the preference chrome://flags/#scrollable-tabstrip.

As a side note, I feel that the navigation between tabs would be faster if the tab bar was at the top of the screen, as for Firefox and Chrome.

• I don't think we're going to bother with this, sorry. Something that behaves differently as soon as soon as the tab bar is scrollable is awkward, and I don't see us making it possible to turn off tab scrolling in tabs that don't even have favicons.

The only reason Chrome can do this is because the scrollable tab bar is disabled by default (which is bad for all power users).

I'd recommend just using the keyboard shortcuts.
    As a side note, I feel that the navigation between tabs would be faster if the tab bar was at the top of the screen, as for Firefox and Chrome.
    It's the same as Firefox with the title bar enabled. We'll probably be able to remove the title bar in a future version. (The tabs are at the top on macOS, which uses a unified window.)
  • Thank you for your reply.
  • edited August 18, 2022
    Hello,
    if I may :
    setting the side scroll wheel to "Horizontal scrolling" on the MX Master 3 [...] on macOS
    On windows and with mx3 I had to change the mouse setting from mouse scrolling to switch tab. But now works at perfection! Thanks for that feature :)