Large Citavi Project Import: Categories/Collections get lost

Hello,

I am trying to import a Citavi 5 database with ~4000 entries to Zotero. As it initially crashed I used the asynchronous filter as explained here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73317/large-citavi-db-import

However, when I import the large project, no collections are shown. I would like to have my complex Citavi categories tree translated in Zotero collections, and understand that this should normally work.

Testing a small database (extract from the big one), I get the categories, but only with one hierarchy level. The category hierarchies don't translate to subfolders in the collections, but are only shown as numberings (i.e 1.1.1) but they only go three levels deep, and it seems that deeper categories are just translated to collection folders without any numbers.

Thank you!

The error code 830184901 (I think this is about the second import (small database), I already reported the first import (big database) but do not find an archive of my error reports in Zotero.

[JavaScript Error: "Collection 170 not found for item 1/GT9DMMKQ" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js" line: 5317}]

[JavaScript Error: "Collection 170 not found for item 1/GT9DMMKQ" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js" line: 5317}]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid accessDate '2018-07-19 05:06' for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid accessDate '2018-07-12 04:00' for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js" line: 47}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: right-hand side of 'in' should be an object, got undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities/utilities.js" line: 1232}]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid accessDate '2018-07-19 05:06' for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Discarding invalid accessDate '2018-07-12 04:00' for item 1/null"]

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIFile.initWithPath]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/file.js" line: 47}]

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: right-hand side of 'in' should be an object, got undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities/utilities.js" line: 1232}]

version => 6.0.10, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => de, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0.10, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension)
  • Thank you! Unfortunately, this does not seem to make a difference.

All best
  • The error report ID for the last attempt is 1159188371.
  • To start, can you restart Zotero and check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences? Does it pass?

We can only provide support for the official importer, so please reset your translators from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences and test on a small subset after that. If you can still reproduce the collection problem, we can take a look. For the crash with the larger version, we can look into addressing that separately.

(Deleted the other comment, which isn't accurate. Our instructions should work if followed precisely. You don't need to change the file extension.)
  • @krnsbt: Actually, sorry, rereading your post, what you're seeing for the small import is a known issue:
    Nested collections in Citavi will not be nested anymore in Zotero. However, the numbers for the collections names should represent the nesting and adjusting this then manually should be easy.
    We'll see if we can fix that.

For the main issue with your full database, start with the DB integrity check. Beyond that, we'll update the main importer to better handle a large database.
  • Thank you. Database integrity is good. I made a new extraction from the big project and imported it with the official importer. The results are the same, the nested file structure of the categories gets lost, as you say is known. However, it only produces numerings for 3 levels (1.1.1) and my nested structure is way deeper, leaving a huge number of collections without numbering. Here is the error code and description of that import: ID 1190529822

version => 6.0.10, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => de, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0.10, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension), ZotFile (5.1.1, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (6.7.19, extension)

With regards to the large file, with the official importer the program crashes, so I cannot do the database integrity check, as this necessitates a successful import. Or do you mean to check the integrity of the citavi file? As it seems that the unofficial importer I linked to in the first post is the only solution to import the large database, could you tell me if there is any problem with it? For the small import, the official and unofficial importers give the same (somewhat flawed) results.

Thank you, all best!
  • Hi, now it worked to import the large DB with the official importer. It took a while and froze, but got through. Here the error report (ID 1082614622):

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: out of memory" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js" line: 390}]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: out of memory" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/fileInterface.js" line: 390}]

[JavaScript Error: "The connection to wss://stream.zotero.org/ has terminated unexpectedly. Some data may have been transferred."]

[JavaScript Error: "WebSocket connection closed: 1006 "]

version => 6.0.10, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 10.0; WOW64, locale => de, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 6.0.10, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension), Zotero Word for Windows Integration (6.0.0.SA.6.0.10, extension), Mdnotes for Zotero (0.2.3, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (6.7.21, extension)

Thanks!
  • @krnsbt: Can you update to 6.0.13 and try again? We've made a number of improvements to Citavi import.