Indenting footnotes in Chicago Manual Style Full Note with Bibliography

As a history major I am required to use Chicago Manual Style Full Note with Bibliography. The problem I am having is that this style is supposed to be indented from the citation number in 5 spaces. I can manual move the citation in 5 spaces but I cannot move the citation number.

It is essay time at university and I love Zotero, however, I loose marks if the footnotes aren't correctly indented.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue. And thanks again everyone at Zotero for fixing my last problem, which as it turned out was my fault and not a problem with Zotero.

Thanks John

PS. I have searched the forum for an answer.
  • edited November 19, 2009
    It would probably help if you would say which wordprocessor and which Zotero you are using.
    Generally you can address this by changing the Footnote style in Word/Open Office, similar to what is discussed here:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/word_default_font
    I've just tried this in Open Office (play with the "Before Text" and "First Line" Indents) and it works for subsequent footnotes and I'm 99% sure it will in Word as well.
    Make sure you understand what is meant by "Style" in this context.
  • edited December 14, 2009
    Hi Adam,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Sorry for not mentioning my OS, I'm using os x snow leopard and Neo Office. For other Zotero users as daft as me, with a similar problem I will run through the complete exercise so you shouldn't have to play around.

You must make sure that the cursor is in a footnote before going into 'Format' > 'Styles and Formatting' so that formatting window appears with footnotes as the highlighted option.

Right click on footnote and click on modify. A "Paragraph Style: Footnote window will be displayed, hit the standard button in the bottom right hand corner to change all the values to 0.00 and then change the 'First Line" box to 0.50.

Hit OK and your Chicago footnotes should be properly formatted.

Once again thanks Adam