Issue with updating references with Google Drive/Microsoft word

Hi,

Please help me with this query as I am working on my thesis and fear that my references won't be fixed in time to submit!

I have been using Zotero on Microsoft Word and then updated the file to OneDrive to ensure my thesis is saved in case anything happens to my laptop.

The references won't update, my laptop gets hot and the fan turns on loud, it says it failed to update etc.

I have a few hundred references saved but the newest ones were added in the way that updating citations automatically was turned off, so I could do them all at the end to avoid waiting for each citation to update.

I tried updating the citations with good wifi multiple times. So I am wondering if the link is broken because it's on One Drive?

I am wondering will I have to delete all references and start again?

Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Sarah
  • edited August 8, 2022
    Did you mean OneDrive in the title, not Google Drive?

How large is the document and approximately how many citations does it have? Is this Windows or Mac?

How long have you waited for it to update? In a large document, it could easily just take a while. If you go to Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output, you can see whether it's doing anything.

While it generally should work if stored in OneDrive, you can also try just moving the document out of OneDrive to see if that helps. (There's one known issue with documents in OneDrive resulting in an update error, but not anything like this.)