Theme Issue: Some parts of Zotero's GUI on Linux are controlled by GTK

Not sure if this should be part of the other discussion on making dark skins for Zotero, but here goes.

I've been trying to make my own tweaks to Zotero's skin but one thing that's been driving me nuts is that I couldn't change some parts of the menu bar using Zotero's CSS.

The main culprit is the appearance of items with checkboxes in the main menubar. For example, the "Show Items from Subcollections" at the end of the "View" menu, and the font sizes in the font size menu. The color when you hover over them doesn't change like the rest of the menu.

After a lot of tinkering I figured out that those things (and a few other things) can be set using a GTK theme.

This code:

menu menuitem:hover {
background-color: #FF5722;
}

Sets the hover color of the checkboxes in the zotero menu if you put it in a GTK theme and apply that theme to Zotero on Linux, but if you put it into UserChrome.css or into the CSS for the Zotero Night Repo it does nothing.

Is there a way to change this? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like if it's like this you would have to create a matching GTK theme to fully change Zotero's appearance on Linux, which is a lot.
  • edited September 2, 2022
    How did you apply a GTK theme? I tried using this with no luck, is there another way? It's a flatpak install of Zotero.

sudo flatpak override org.zotero.Zotero --env=GTK_THEME=Pop-light