Citations have switched to curly brackets

I've just opened an older Word document (last edited March) and all of the Zotero citations are now enclosed {in curly brackets}. I've updated Zotero to the latest version and switched my citation style to vanilla Harvard, but they remain unchanged... Can anybody help me?
  • Can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • edited July 25, 2022
    You should delete that. Zotero questions should be posted here, not to third-party communities. This is where all Zotero support happens.

Nothing in Zotero would convert active citations to curly brackets other than the "RTF Scan" citation style (which I think includes the title).

But are those actually Zotero citations? Are they highlighted in gray if you put the cursor in them? If you toggle Word field codes, do they change to show "ADDIN ZOTERO_ITEM CSL_CITATION" and some code? What citation style is set?

If they're not fields, it's possible you were just planning to use the RTF Scan feature and typed those manually.
  • OK that's really weird. They are definitely all Zotero citations, and correct word fields. I have just switched over to an Oxford citation style, and then back to the one I was using originally (Leeds University Harvard) and everything is back to normal. I have no idea what can have caused this.

• I don't recall ever seeing that before, but Word does use curly brackets when toggled to show field codes. Maybe it somehow got into a funk where it was showing curly brackets around the field text as well…
  • Yeah, I think blaming Microsoft is a pretty safe bet ;)