Not to destroy undo functionality of Word

I am sure this question must have been asked more than once but searching through forums (and briefly through web) I wasn't able to locate definite answer.

Is it possible to write VBScript in a way, that Word will treat it as one Undo step when you run it? Right now, if you hit refresh or if you insert or update bibliography, you end up with hundreds of gibberish undo steps. There is no way of going back. Jar is broken and milk is spilled, soaking into the ground.

If there is not any function on this, wouldn't be some work-around possible (something like auto-saving before&after snapshots). How is this on OpenOffice - does it fare any better when it comes to undoing Zotero scripts?

Thanks!
  • I'd be interested as well!
  • The 2.0-compatible plugins no longer use VBA, but I'm not sure this has changed or if there's anything that could be done about it. Any fix that existed would probably fix Track Changes compatibility as well, though.
  • Well, I don't want to look too stupid, but from what I see in Zotero.dot template it still uses VBA for something and all the "undo" steps in Word are marked as "VBA-Font.size", VBA-Rande.text... etc. (there is eight undo steps per one citation).

So, if you guys say to have no clue for the moment, I might try my luck with some Microsoft MVPs and post the results here...
  • I did some research on this recently and here is what I came up with, I am not sure however if this method is applicable on what Zotero integration plugin needs to accomplish - but it seems like the number of undo steps can be either reduced to one (in cases like adding citations) or significantly reduced (creating bibliography, reformatting document to a new style).

See more info on here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.vba.general/browse_thread/thread/ba880284569c7f14/1e542f55f6d231dd?hl=en&lnk=st&q&pli=1

and example code here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.word97vba/msg/c5f120a7817f3dbb?hl=en

What do you think? Would it be possible to apply this method?

PS: It is interesting, that PowerPoint "undos" script in one step and for MS Project there is a special procedure to call - but Word libraries do not contain it - frustrating...
  • having inserts/edits of zotero references as only 1 step in the undo history would be great for libreoffice, too!