Save the entire Twitter thread when snapshotting

I gather a lot of qualitative data on twitter, and Zotero is a great place to capture all that. I notice that Zotero does know to categorize Twitter as a "forum post". It would be far more useful if Zotero were to capture the entire twitter thread, or at least capture everything visible in the web page (ignoring "load more" buttons).
  • edited July 21, 2022
    It does. It saves a snapshot of everything that's been loaded.
  • edited July 22, 2022
    Perhaps it works for you but for me, on MacOS 12.4, Safari 15.5, Zotero 6.0.4, Intel MacBook Pro it does not. Evidence follows:

Video 1: using the Zotero button to capture the page, then opening up the snapshot to see if it did indeed capture the entire thread

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xRgVWMkodWXtvPwuuiMLq0C1T-6FDsSS/view?usp=sharing

Video 2:
    opening up the snapshots of two captured tweets from the library and comparing them with the original page:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xVE95WCMCsADBeQr6NVq3z3F0ET2IIF2/view?usp=sharing

To be absolutely sure I'm not being an idiot, I opened up the snapshot in Safari and viewed the HTML source, and yes, only the focused tweet was captured, nothing below or above it in the page. There's nothing else in the HTML that could have been hidden by CSS. There is exactly one «article» element and it only contains one tweet.
  • I'm a developer — I'm telling you that we save the whole page on Twitter.

But the Zotero Connector for Safari is much more limited due to technical restrictions and bugs in Safari's two available extensions frameworks, and one of the many limitations is that in Safari we can't save snapshots of the already-loaded page as we do in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge. Instead, we have to send the URL over to Zotero to do a fresh page load itself, and on a site like Twitter that's both entirely JavaScript-generated and also extremely hostile to any sort of automation, that only ends up saving the main tweet. Various other page elements, as well as any logged-in state, are also missing.

We can see if there's anything we can do to improve this, but for now, for snapshots that fully match what you're looking at when you click the save button, you'd need to use one of the other browsers.
  • Ah, it's a Safari thing :-/ Thanks for clarifying.

I think it would help if the Zotero connector download page said that the Safari connector has limitations not present in FF/Chrome/Edge. Otherwise a sentence like "It saves a snapshot of everything that's been loaded" seems to contradict the user's experience and is very confusing to read. I had no indication from any of the release notes or announcements that my experience using Safari is compromised.

Anyway, keep up the great work and thank you for your dedication to keeping this invaluable community tool alive and evolving.
  • We actually have a list of limitations:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/safari_compatibility#limitations

This issue is a bit more subtle and doesn't affect most sites, so it's not currently mentioned, but we'll add something. We also may be able to get equivalent snapshots working in Safari, but we have to look into that.

(This page is already linked from the download page for the section above, "Don’t see the Zotero Connector in Safari?", due to a separate macOS bug with the Safari extension. The Safari extension can't be downloaded separately (again due to Apple), so that bug is the more common reason Safari users find themselves on that page. Only so many links we can add about how bad Safari's extension framework is…)