Some files (pdfs) will not sync to web or load onto second device

Debug ID: D770804838

I have two devices I work between (Device A: computer, macbook air 2017 | Device B: ipad, 2020). Some files will not load on my ipad (device B) when I originally add them to zotero on my computer (device A). After following zotero troubleshooting advice (including resetting my sync log), it seems the issue is that the pdfs will not open on zotero web. The pdfs open on device A with no sync error but cannot open on web and therefore when I try to open it on device B (ipad), I get the following error:

"The attached file is not available in the online library. Please check that the file has synced on the device where it was added."

I originally thought the issue was my storage plan and purchased a 2 GB plan but this did not solve it either. No how many times I save the document, it will not upload to web and therefore my device B (ipad).

Any help at all will be most appreciated,
Drew
  • edited July 21, 2022
    That Debug ID just shows you being at your quota, and you'd also see a warning in the Zotero toolbar when that's the case.

If you just added a storage plan, it will likely just work after that, and if not you'd want to follow Files Not Syncing now and provide the requested info.

Note, also, that you're getting various other sync errors that you'll need to resolve.

These things are all indicated by an icon next to the sync button every time you sync, and you can click on it for more information on resolving the issue.
  • The pdfs open on device A with no sync error
    And this part is a misunderstanding. You created the PDFs on that computer, so you can of course open them there. The point is that you're getting an error on that computer when syncing, which prevents the files from being uploaded.
  • Thank you for your help!

I am unsure why the debug ID is showing me at my quota as I just purchased a 2 GB plan and zotero is showing me I have ~69% storage left. Even with this, I am still getting the same issue. Confusingly, if I add the pdf to zotero on device B (ipad), I can load it no problem on device A (computer). I just attempted again to download a pdf on my computer and I cannot access it on the web version or ipad. When I said there are no sync errors, I am getting no sync error on my computer when I press the sync button related to my current problem.

As for the other sync errors, there was one that I just resolved that is not causing my current issue and was related to a lengthy author name. After resolving this, I am still getting no sync errors.

Thanks again,
    Drew
  • edited July 21, 2022
    Again, you'll have to follow the Files Not Syncing steps now and provide the requested info. We can't debug this without that. The Debug ID you provided absolutely showed you getting sync errors, including quota errors.
  • Thank you dstillman. It took a couple days but it is now working. I am not quite sure the issue but guess it was the storage issue. However, once I purchased a higher storage plan, it still took several days for it to adapt and be able to sync pdfs from online. Sorry for the delayed response and thanks again for your help. I will report a debug ID if this happens again.