Force a reboot of my references? (Word Mac)

I am adding the finishing touches to my PhD Thesis (or, trying to! lol notlol). Having written all the chapters as separate documents I've merged them into what is now a fairly big document as you can imagine. I have ~400 refs and plenty of other word fields (30 or so tables, 50 images etc).

Up until yesterday, Zotero was slow, but working. I only needed to fix a couple of problematic references (just capitalisation issues and minor things). But today my References just won't load. I don't even think I've added any more refs, but I perhaps I added a couple. I click refresh in the Zotero toolbar and... nothing happens. I go and make a cup of tea, come back and still nothing. No error messages, just nothing.

I've been reading about the issues with Word Mac but I think this is different. Or maybe I've just reached a critical mass of citations / fields and it's the final straw.

Zotero <-> Word integration is still working - I started a new doc and can add references fine.

Basically, is there anything I can do to force Zotero to work? I don't have easy access to a Windows PC where I can install Zotero. All my chapters/ fields/bookmarks/ToC etc are all fine so I'm loathe to try E.g. Libre Office at this point.

Can I purge some Zotero memory somehow?
Will it help to (temporarily) delete other papers from my Zotero library (~3,000 papers)?
Start a new document and Cmd+c, Cmd+v everything?
Does Zotero/Word integration timeout and give up at a certain point? I do have access to an M1 Mac which has a faster CPU but the same 8Gb RAM - could try that?

2018 MacBook Pro 13" / 8Gb RAM
Word 16.63.1
Zotero updated 6.0.10
  • Restart Zotero and Word. Go into Zotero Help -> Debug Output Logging -> View Output, then press Refresh in the Word document in Zotero tab. You should see Zotero log its actions into the output window. As long as the output window is being updated, it means Zotero is working to update your document. Sorry there isn't a better way to see progress for a big update, this is due to technical reasons beyond our control.
  • OK, that's helpful. I can see from that output that it takes seemingly forever to 'getFieldsAsync' from Word. Over two minutes for that one command alone, it seems.

After that, the output Window gets very busy so at least I can tell something is happening. Overall it takes 315s just to update the references which is pretty tedious. But at least it works. Maybe I just wasn't being patient enough...!

Thanks

(4)(+0000057): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: getDocumentData

(4)(+0000007): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: getFieldsAsync

(4)(+0128133): ZoteroMacWordIntegration: getFieldsAsync

(3)(+0131652): Integration: Retrieved 372 fields in 131.651; 2.825652672596486 fields/second