Zotero 6: DOI for books and book chapters revisited

edited July 20, 2022
Since at least 2009 (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8014/no-doi-field-for-books) there were regular requests for DOI field for books and book sections.

The workaround Extra: DOI: 10.XXX/XXXXXX sort of works for citations, but not for extensions that work with DOI and require DOI field.

Lack of DOI field is also illogical when Zotero adds an entry via DOI perfectly fine, and then strips away the very DOI it recognized and parsed. This just feels weird.

There were promises of enabling this feature in the new version. Zotero 6.0.0 has been released 2022-03, and currently (Zotero 6.0.10, 2022-07) there is still no DOI support for books and book chapters. I'm sorry if this sounds demanding, but could anyone provide an estimate when to expect this feature, or at least confirm it's being dealt with?
  • The DOI isn’t stripped, it’s stored in Extra and appears in citations. A proper DOI field will be added to all items when item types and fields are updated in an upcoming Zotero version. DOIs from Extra will be migrated automatically
  • @bwiernik Thank you. Could you please elaborate why DOI field hasn't been added yet to all items? Is there a technical difficulty, some bibliographical standard that doesn't allow that or backward compatibility issues?
  • edited July 20, 2022
    No new fields have been added in many years for technical reasons. We've been resolving those issues, we added a new Preprint item type recently, and we'll be adding other types and fields soon.
  • @dstillman Thank you. I've been looking forward to this feature for a long time, and now when the time came to process over 400 book sections using an extension that only works with DOI field I was reminded how much I missed it and I decided to post another reminder/request. Hopefully it won't take much time to implement, and thank you all for doing the great work!
  • I have been reading the promise "DOI field will be added in upcoming Zotero version" for a looooong time :-|
  • Enter the DOI in Extra. This is the accepted interim solution.