WebDAV? (Windows & Sakai)

G'Day,

Zotero's sync feature allows one to store attachments using WebDAV. I've shied away from using this feature because I run two Windows XP machines that have serious problems with Microsoft's built-in WebDAV implementation. These bugs are well known, and while some people report having been able to fix or work around the problem, no published solution has worked on my machines.

I've even installed third-party WebDAV implementations and could not get them to work. Apparently they use some internal Windows component that propagates the problem.

Recently, however, I installed a web folders (WebDAV) extension for Firefox (see http://webfolder.mozdev.org/installation.html) and got it to work. This raises my hope that Zotero's implementation of WebDAV will also work. Can someone tell me if Zotero uses its or Mozilla's implementation, or does it go through Windows components?

Also, if Zotero's WebDAV works on my computers, I would use it with my university's Sakai system. Sakai lets a user create their own workspace containing a Resources folder that's accessible through WebDAV. This seems the easiest way for me to manage my own WebDAV storage for Zotero. Does anyone have experience doing this or other thoughts on the subject?
  • Zotero uses its own WebDAV code and does not use Windows components.

I can't guarantee it, but Zotero should be compatible with Sakai. We've made some compatibility fixes for Sakai servers in the past.
  • Also, if Zotero's WebDAV works on my computers, I would use it with my university's Sakai system. Sakai lets a user create their own workspace containing a Resources folder that's accessible through WebDAV. This seems the easiest way for me to manage my own WebDAV storage for Zotero. Does anyone have experience doing this or other thoughts on the subject?
    My university uses a customised implementation of Sakai. I've been using it's personal workspace with WebDAV for syncing ever since Zotero 2.0 beta was first released, so far it has worked like a dream.
  • I tried using the WebDAV on Sakai, and it seems to work fine up to this point. In another post, I've reported that I've been unable to synchronize for some time. So this leads to a second, related question.

As I understand it, Zotero synchronizes bibliographic information (metadata) and attachments. If the metadata sync is broken, would the attachment sync not work either?