Is it save to override the original PDF when exporting annotations?

I am using Zotero 6 and it's PDF reader. "Store Annotations in File" was removed.

An earlier discussion on this topic reads "If you routinely want to store annotations in files". What does it mean? I'd like to manually store all annotations in the file. I understand the benefits of Zotero Annotations.

Reading the documentation i can export a copy of the PDF with annotations embedded. The interacting behaviour of Zotero seems to imply I can override the original file in this process, instead. Are there any downsides to this approach? I'd rather avoid working on a copy of the original file.
  • If you want to manually store annotations in the file, use a different PDF reader. That's not how the Zotero PDF reader works, as explained on Annotations in Database.

If you overwrite the existing file you'll have duplicate annotations, one copy in the file and one copy in the database. If you really want to replace the existing copy in Zotero with a version with embedded annotations, you would export to a separate file, drag that in as a separate attachment, and delete the original attachment. But that's certainly not a recommended workflow for regular usage.