French law - cases (Droit français - décisions, arrêts, jugements)

I would like to add French cases in my library. But it seems difficult with the available fields of the Case type.
In a first and broad approach, the structure takes this form:
Court, Court division, date, Name of the parties [italic], case number or page in the report.

Examples:
CE, 20 mai 1962, Société des films Lutétia, Rec. p. 321.
CE, Sect., 27 octobre 2006, Société Techna et autres, req. n° 260767.
Cass. Civ. 1ère, 25 mars 1981, Bull. Civ. 1, n° 260, p. 450.

It would be nice to add other informations, after this citation, like article and comments published in journals. (I think it's not possible without hierarchical relationships between items but that can help for the future)
E.g.:
CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Société KPMG et autres, Rec., p. 154 ; RFDA, 2006, p. 463, concl. Y. Aguila, p. 483, note F. Moderne ; AJDA, 2006, p. 841, point de vue B. Mathieu, p. 897, point de vue F. Melleray, p. 1028, chron. C. Landais & F. Lenica ; JCP (A), 2006, n° 1120, note J.-M. Belorgey ; RDP, 2006, p. 1169, note J.-P. Camby.

Most of the topics in the Law category are anglo-american centred. But has anybody faced this kind of question or has an idea?
Thanks!
  • I've solved almost all the issues related above [the translation (in french) of fields was erroneous: I posted proposals of changes on babelzilla which were accepted] but it would be great:
    -to add a specific field for Court division.
    -to be able to format the "extra" field (maybe with the csl 1.0?)

In addition, I find a bit strange to associate "counsel" (for a case) with "author" (for books, etc...) but it might be a question of legal system?

[@fbennett: should I post that on zotero-legal?]
  • Yes, please, by all means! When I have a break in the action here, I'll try to distill your info down to a wiki entry for Continental cases. The elements of your French citations are very similar to what we use for Japanese cases. I'd like to get this sorted, it's very important for me locally.
  • Hello,

I am a french student.
    I use Zotero with French cases. This is the way I choose:
    Type: "Case"
    Name= "Cass. 1ère civ."
    Recueil (I am sorry, I don't know how translate that in english)= D. 1992, 2, p. 110; JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT
    Date: 12 juil. 1991

For citations you need to use a style with "recueil" like for exemple Chicago full note with bibliography, or create your own style (that is what I have chosen).
    The citation in Word will be that way : "Cass. 1ère civ. 12 juil. 1991, D. 1992, 2, p. 110; JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT"

The only problem is that you cannot automatically determine italic for review's name, you can only determine italic for all the "recueil", or you had to add it manually in your Word file.
    Sorry for my english.
  • edited July 19, 2010
    Bonjour,

Je suis français également...
    Première chose: je n'utilise le champ "Recueil" (reporter en anglais) que pour les véritables recueils d'arrêts (pas les revues juridiques qui publient également des arrêts).

Dans "Recueil", je ne mets que le nom du recueil: pas la page (qui va dans "Première Page"), ni l'année car elle est nécessairement (dans les recueils officiels) la même que celle de l'arrêt.

Lorsque l'arrêt est publié ailleurs (Dalloz, JCP...), je mets tout ça dans le champ "extra". Dans ton exemple: D. 1992, 2, p. 110; JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT

Ainsi, dans ton style csl, tu peux automatiquement mettre le nom du recueil en italique. (Et tu ajoutes le champ "extra")

Si tu as besoin de formater certains éléments (les noms des revues) du champ "extra", ce qui n'est pas possible facilement actuellement mais le sera dans les prochains mois, il y a une technique expliquée ici.

Si tu as d'autres questions, n'hésite pas.
  • Effectivement, l'ajout d'une rubrique section pourrait s'avérer utile.
    J'ai contacté Légifrance, ils s'intéressent à la compatibilité zotero. J'en saurai plus début octobre mais peut-être pourront-ils pousser au développement de zotero vers un système mieux adapté au droit français.
    Comment verrais-tu une modification des champs pour s'adapter aux style de citation des arrêts en français?
    Il me semble qu'il faudrait ajouter plusieurs champs issus de la rubrique "revue" dans la rubrique "affaire" avec des possibilités du type "ajouter une revue" du même genre que celle existant déjà pour ajouter un auteur. Je n'ai aucune idée de la faisabilité de ce que j'envisage.
    Pour l'instant je me contenterai de mon bricolage avec "recueil" car je trouve plus simple de modifier dans word avec la fonction remplacer que d'utiliser le champ extra en introduisant une programmation spécifique.
    Tu te sers de zotero pour ta thèse?
  • I've been watching this thread with interest.

For Zotero 2.1, the citation processsor has the ability to "collapse" parallel citations in a way suitable for common law jurisdictions:

Beck v. Beck, 1999 ME 110, ¶ 6, 733 A.2d 981, 983.

In the cite above, both "ME" and "A.2d" are reporters. The Zotero database contains two items, one for each reporter. When they are used in together, the processor recognizes that they share identical front matter and back matter. The front matter (in this case, "Beck v. Beck") is dropped from all but the first cite, and the back matter (in this case there is none) is dropped from all but the last. This mechanism seems to give good support for parallel citations in various forms, for cases and for statutes:

People v. Taylor, 73 N.Y.2d 683, 541 N.E.2d 386, 543 N.Y.S.2d 357 (1989)
    Clayton Act, ch. 323, § 7, 38 Stat. 730, 731-32 (1914)

I'd like this to work smoothly across jurisdictions, and I'm wondering what the example cites originally given by Gracile represent:

CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Société KPMG et autres, Rec., p. 154 ;
    RFDA, 2006, p. 463, concl. Y. Aguila, p. 483, note F. Moderne ;
    AJDA, 2006, p. 841, point de vue B. Mathieu, p. 897, point de vue F. Melleray, p. 1028, chron. C. Landais & F. Lenica ;
    JCP (A), 2006, n° 1120, note J.-M. Belorgey ;
    RDP, 2006, p. 1169, note J.-P. Camby.

The first cite in the list seems to be to a case. Do the RFDA, AJDA, JCP and RDP cites represent alternative reports of the same case, or are they commentaries or articles of some sort? Also, is this the first-reference form for each of these cites, or are these subsequent-type cites in a short-form format?
  • Frank,

I was planning to post on zotero-legal a summary with French law examples. But I've always postponed this project since january. I'm happy to do it briefly now.

In French law, it's very common to cite cases with references to comments written by scholars. [Courts are very laconic in their decisions : as a consequence there are many comments, observations, articles on the case, etc... in order to explain the case]

The minimum information to provide are:
    Court, Court division, date, Name of the parties (if known), Official report, page of the report.
    CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Société KPMG et autres, Rec., p. 154
    -Rec. means "Recueil" i.e. "Reporter" which is an implicit way of saying "The official reporter for cases of this court".

[NB: when cases are not published in "official report", you can give the case number [it's the modern way since it's easy to find it online] or the legal journal in which it has been published.

But it's very common to add articles which are comments of the case (note: the court decision is generally published after the comment):
    CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Société KPMG et autres, Rec., p. 154 ; RFDA, 2006, p. 463, concl. Y. Aguila, p. 483, note F. Moderne ; AJDA, 2006, p. 841, point de vue B. Mathieu, p. 897, point de vue F. Melleray, p. 1028, chron. C. Landais & F. Lenica ; JCP (A), 2006, n° 1120, note J.-M. Belorgey ; RDP, 2006, p. 1169, note J.-P. Camby.
    -RFDA, AJDA, JCP (A), RDP are French legal journals (abbreviated name)

-"note", "point de vue, "chron.", mean respectively "concise note", "point of view", "chronicle": that's the kind of article (the difference between all these types is far from clear however)

-concl. means "conclusions": an opinion written by a member of the court who proposes a solution to the case. It's a very important document in order to understand the final decision of the court. "Conclusions" are published in official reports or in legal journals .

As you can see, it's not real "parallel citation", even if the court decision is almost always published at the end of the comments.

That means that, in my zotero libray, I have (for this court decision: CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Soc. KPMG):
    -one "legal case": as I said (in french) to CRDP Paris1, I'm using, for now, the "extra" field to add all the comments published in legal journals
    -7 "journal articles": one for each comment of the decision.

Thank you very much for reading!
  • edited July 19, 2010
    @ CRDP Paris 1
    J'ai contacté Légifrance, ils s'intéressent à la compatibilité zotero.
    Très bonne nouvelle: je n'ai jamais osé de peur de parler dans le vide... Ecrire un translator pour Légifrance est actuellement impossible.
    Comment verrais-tu une modification des champs pour s'adapter aux style de citation des arrêts en français?
    Une des propositions est le mécanisme de "parallel citation" expliqué par Frank Bennett. Mais comme je l'explique ci-dessus, ce n'est pas tout à fait la même chose.
    Pour l'instant je me contenterai de mon bricolage avec "recueil" car je trouve plus simple de modifier dans word avec la fonction remplacer que d'utiliser le champ extra en introduisant une programmation spécifique.
    Pourquoi pas. L'avantage que je retire de cette dissociation est que je ne cite que la référence minimale en note de bas de page. Pour l'ensemble des commentaires de l'arrêt, c'est en biblio.
    La "programmation spécifique" dont tu parles, je ne l'utilise pas (mais nous devrions sans doute le faire) car elle est un peu lourde.
    Tu te sers de zotero pour ta thèse?
    Oui. Mais je ne suis pas dans la rédaction.

En tout cas, bienvenue!
  • Thanks for this info. A few further questions:

Concerning note, point de vue, chron., etc., are these designations made in the source itself, or are they descriptive terms added by the citiing author (i.e. are they part of the cite itself, or are these ephemeral tag-lines)?

Do academic comments on a case have titles, or do they just use the cite to the case as their title?

You mention that the case cite often appears at the end of the series, but in both your example and in that given by CRDP Paris 1, the case cite comes at the beginning. Which is more common?
  • edited July 20, 2010
    As you can see, it's not real "parallel citation", even if the court decision is almost always published at the end of the comments.
    Ah, I see that I misread. You mean that the actual comment or note is followed by the full text of the case. Got it.

I think that the existing parallel citations mechanism could work well for this use case, with a little more fine-tuning. One further question. In the following cite:

JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT

This looks like section G of the JCP journal, number II, article number 27330, which is by J.Dupichot. Is that correct?

(Edit: ... and while we're at it, a few more questions, about some of the cites given above. Comparing the following two cites ...

(1) Is "Société des films Lutétia" a party name? If so, is this the plaintiff or defendant?

(2) Why do some cites include a name, and others not?

(3) What does "Sect." stand for?

(4) What is the semantic difference between "req. n° 260767" and "n° 260"?

Separately, I'm wondering whether the journal year should be set in the volume field. Is that the semantic meaning of the year in these cites -- does each journal or reporter have a separately bound on-shelf volume for each year?

It looks like there are a few items that need to be worked out to move toward automating this:

(1) We need to have a "section" field in Zotero item data for law cases.

(2) It would be useful to be able to control the label on the "pages" field with a selection list similar to that used in word processor plugins. For that, such behavior would need to be recognized in the CSL specification, Zotero would need to implement the UI, and the processor would need to recognize the "hint" supplied by Zotero.

(3) The current parallel cites collapsing mechanism would need to provide additionally for suppression of leading portions of a collapsed cite (the journal name, in this case) that are identical to the preceding cite.

(4) Some means of controlling intra-parallels joining punctuation would be needed (to get commas between items for the same journal, semi-colons between items from different journals, and commas in common-law parallel citations). This can be fudged in the short term, but things will be more transparent if these delimiters can be specified in the CSL style -- that's not possible at present, because "parallel" cite collapsing is special behavior specific to citeproc-js, and not part of the CSL specification proper.
  • Concerning note, point de vue, chron., etc., are these designations made in the source itself, or are they descriptive terms added by the citiing author (i.e. are they part of the cite itself, or are these ephemeral tag-lines)?
    These are designations made in the source itself. It gives information on the size/depth/consistency of the comment (a short note or a long article...)
    Do academic comments on a case have titles, or do they just use the cite to the case as their title?
    These comments have almost always a title.
    For the case:

If each of these comments were different "journal articles" in zotero UI, they will have titles:
    -B. Mathieu, Le principe de sécurité juridique entre au Conseil d'Etat, AJDA, 2006, p. 841. ["point de vue" disappears]
    -C. Landais & F. Lenica, Sécurité juridique : la consécration, chron. sur CE, Ass., 24 mars 2006, Société KPMG et autres, AJDA, 2006, p. 1028. [chron. and the mimimum information on the case are added]
    [Hum..., it's difficult to rationalize here... I will have a look on that]
    You mention that the case cite often appears at the end of the series, but in both your example and in that given by CRDP Paris 1, the case cite comes at the beginning. Which is more common?
    Ah, I see that I misread. You mean that the actual comment or note is followed by the full text of the case. Got it.
    You got it.
    I think that the existing parallel citations mechanism could work well for this use case, with a little more fine-tuning. One further question. In the following cite:

JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT

This looks like section G of the JCP journal, number II, article number 27330, which is by J.Dupichot. Is that correct?
    JCP (aka JurisClasseur Périodique aka La semaine juridique) has different editions: G is general; A is administrative law, S is social (labour law). In other words, it's not the section G of the JCP journal but the "JCP G" journal...
    JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT => An article in the JCP G, 1992 is the year, II is the section (see this thread), 27330 is the article number (not the page), which is by J.Dupichot.
    (Edit: ... and while we're at it, a few more questions, about some of the cites given above. Comparing the following two cites ...

(1) Is "Société des films Lutétia" a party name? If so, is this the plaintiff or defendant?
    It's a party name. It's the plaintiff.
    In CE, Sect., 27 octobre 2006, Société Techna et autres, req. n° 260767: Société Techna is a plaintiff amongst others: "et autres"
    (2) Why do some cites include a name, and others not?
    In public law, it's common to include a name whereas it is not in private law. Actually names are sometimes the name of all the parties, sometimes the name of the plaintiffs, sometimes the name of one plaintiff (the first one in alphabetical order). [+ Some cases have nicknames which are almost official.]
    (3) What does "Sect." stand for?
    Ass.; Sect.; stand for: Assemblée (full court) and Section (almost full court). There are division of the Conseil d'État (CE, Council of State), the supreme administrative court.
    The Cour de Cassation (C. Cass.) is the supreme judicial court: it has six divisions: Social (Labour law), Criminal, Commercial, Civil (3 civil divions actually). For important/difficult cases, a mixed division (chambre mixte) or a full court (the "Assemblée plénière" = Ass. plén.) is called.
    (4) What is the semantic difference between "req. n° 260767" and "n° 260"?
    Req. means "requête" => case number; "n° 260" has to be read in context: in the Bulletin Civil (Bull. Civ.: a legal report) (implicit: of the year 1981, year of the case), the case is numbered "250" (it's the number of the case in the Bull. Civ., not the official and unique "case number".)
    Separately, I'm wondering whether the journal year should be set in the volume field. Is that the semantic meaning of the year in these cites -- does each journal or reporter have a separately bound on-shelf volume for each year?
    Official legal reports have one volume by year (even if it's published monthly or quarterly => bookbinding). Since a case is published in the report of its year, the information is redundant. => CE, 20 mai 1962, Société des films Lutétia, Rec. p. 321. (implicit: Recueil of the year 1962).
  • Gracile,

Thanks for all of these details! From this ...
    If each of these comments were different "journal articles" in zotero UI, they will have titles:
    -B. Mathieu, Le principe de sécurité juridique entre au Conseil d'Etat, AJDA, 2006, p. 841.
    ... it's clear that my optimistic idea of relying on the processor's common law parallel citation support for these comments won't work, since the relationship between the case and the comment cites can't be "seen" in their full rendered forms. Unfortnately, it looks like full support for this style of citation will have to wait for relations (the hierarchical data model thing) in Zotero and CSL.
  • Frank and Gracil, thank you for your interesting points of view.
    I don't know how to use "parallel citation" even if it does not seam to be usefull for us. How do you do that?
    Franck, do you think that zotero will be able to support French law cases? Are you working for zotero?
    I am working in french private law and I never use the title of comments in law journal.
  • Gracile: Pourquoi pas. L'avantage que je retire de cette dissociation est que je ne cite que la référence minimale en note de bas de page. Pour l'ensemble des commentaires de l'arrêt, c'est en biblio.

D'accord, je comprends alors l'intérêt de cette dissociation. Pour ma part on pratique rarement de la sorte en droit privé donc j'intègre systématiquement toutes les références, sauf à insérer un "prec." si j'ai déjà cité l'arrêt en question.

Je viens d'entrer dans la phase de rédaction et j'ai donc un style développé pour correspondre aux standards du droit français (noms des auteurs en petites majuscules dans les citations par exemple). C'est pourquoi je souhaiterais pouvoir distinguer les champs "publication" et "auteur" sous les arrêts pour pouvoir mettre le champ "publication" en italique, contrairement au numéro de page, "auteur" en petite minuscule etc.
    L'implication des revues juridiques françaises dans ce développement serait très utile car leurs informaticiens comprendraient certainement mieux nos besoins.

Très bonne nouvelle: je n'ai jamais osé de peur de parler dans le vide... Ecrire un translator pour Légifrance est actuellement impossible.

Qu'appelles-tu un translator? Mon but est juste de leur présenter l'utilité de Zotero pour les chercheurs en droit et la nécessité d'un référencement optimisé des arrêts.

Merci de tes réponses en tous cas.
  • edited July 21, 2010
    Parallel citation collapsing in the new processor just happens when it's needed. The conditions (currently) are that the items, as rendered, differ only in the volume, number, journal, and page of the reference; everything else (title/case name, date, court, etc.) must be the same. When those conditions are satisfied, the "leading" matter is rendered only on the first cite in the series, and the "trailing" matter is rendered only on the last. At the user level, you don't need to do anything special; it just works.

The main problem in this case is that the title will not match between the items. We wouldn't want to use any tricks to get around that, because the items really do represent different content anyway. We need an explicit marker somewhere in the data that says "this item is related to that one". I checked in the trunk version of Zotero (2.1a1), and relations there do not yet seem to be passing through to the processor. It will happen eventually, but we may have to wait awhile.
  • Unfortunately, "parallel citation" doesn't seam to work with my zotero. Maybe I have not the right version?
    The fields: Name of the case /date / court / number are the same. I'm just changing the fields "Report" and "first page" but zotero doesn't seams to link the cases even in the citation mode in Word.
    I would like to make it works because I don't use the title of the comments: I would be able to keep the same title (name of the case for example) for all the differents comments about it.
  • edited July 21, 2010
    @Frank:
    ... it's clear that my optimistic idea of relying on the processor's common law parallel citation support for these comments won't work, since the relationship between the case and the comment cites can't be "seen" in their full rendered forms. Unfortnately, it looks like full support for this style of citation will have to wait for relations (the hierarchical data model thing) in Zotero and CSL.
    Actually, there are different practices (no "bluebook" here) - that's why I said "difficult to rationalize" - but parallel citations is going to be a great improvement, if we put apart titles of comments. (otherwise, indeed, hierarchical model is necessary)
    We just have to keep in mind that it's not real parallel citations as it is comments of the case and not reference to the case itself.

@CRDP P1:
    I don't know how to use "parallel citation" even if it does not seam to be usefull for us. How do you do that?
    Ce n'est pas encore disponible: il faut attendre zotero 2.1.. d'ici la fin de l'année ou le début de l'année prochaine. Tu peux essayer une version alpha mais dans ce cas là il faut sauvegarder très souvent tes données. C'est risqué (mais utile pour les tests)
    Franck, do you think that zotero will be able to support French law cases? Are you working for zotero?
    Globalement ça fonctionne déjà. Frank ne travaille pas pour zotero mais il est un des principaux concepteurs du nouveau processeur CSL qui est très lié à zotero (je n'entre pas dans les détails techniques). C'est un projet
  • gracile:
    Ce n'est pas encore disponible: il faut attendre zotero 2.1.. d'ici la fin de l'année ou le début de l'année prochaine. Tu peux essayer une version alpha mais dans ce cas là il faut sauvegarder très souvent tes données. C'est risqué (mais utile pour les tests)

--> ok. D'où mes essais infructueux. Je vais peut-être télécharger cette version test sur un autre ordi pour faire des essais. Comme je te le disais précédemment, si on n'utilise pas les titres des commentaires, et qu'on se sert de la référence de l'arrêt comme titre, alors "parallel citation" peut être un outil très précieux.

Comment remplis-tu les champs dans "Affaire" actuellement? Tu utilise le nom pour mettre le nom de l'arrêt et le champ "tribunal" pour renseigner la Cour et la chambre?
    Pour ma part je mets en titre "Cass. 1ère civ." dans la mesure où il est rare en droit privé de donner le nom des arrêts.
    J'utilise aussi les champ "date de la décision" (ce qui me permet un classement par date dans zotero) et "recueil".

Autre petite question: comment fais-tu pour répondre à un commentateur précédent et avoir le petit cadre le signalant? Je suis novice sur ce forum et je découvre...
    Merci pour tes renseignements.
  • @CRDP P1:
    D'accord, je comprends alors l'intérêt de cette dissociation. Pour ma part on pratique rarement de la sorte en droit privé donc j'intègre systématiquement toutes les références, sauf à insérer un "prec." si j'ai déjà cité l'arrêt en question
    Il y a deux choses différentes ici: dissocier dans zotero et dissocier dans le style csl.
    Si tu ne dissocies pas dans zotero, tu ne peux pas dissocier dans le style. Mais l'inverse n'est pas vrai: tu peux très bien dissocier dans zotero et ne pas dissocier dans le style.
    Je dissocie dans zotero (comme expliqué) parce que je trouve que la référence d'un arrêt dans un recueil (Lebon, Bull. civ...) n'est pas la même chose qu'un arrêt commenté dans une revue.
    Ainsi j'utilise les champs zotero: Recueil pour le nom du recueil; première page pour la page de ce recueil; (éventuellement: volume du recueil pour l'année mais je considère que c'est implicite).
    Et je mets tout le reste dans "extra".
    L'avantage est que Recueil est automatiquement en italique. reste le problème du champ extra: comme tout est mélangé (ex: D. 1992, 2, p. 110; JCP G 1992, II, 27330, J. DUPICHOT) , il faut le faire manuellement.
    Je viens d'entrer dans la phase de rédaction et j'ai donc un style développé pour correspondre aux standards du droit français
    L'avantage de zotero est que tu peux changer de style à tout moment.
    Qu'appelles-tu un translator? Mon but est juste de leur présenter l'utilité de Zotero pour les chercheurs en droit et la nécessité d'un référencement optimisé des arrêts.
    Un translator ou convertisseur est ce qui permet à zotero de reconnaitre un article de journal, un livre, etc... et d'afficher une petite icône à droite (comme ici de la barre d'adresse, te permettant ainsi d'ajouter les références automatiquement (i.e. sans les taper...). Un translator legifrance permettrait en un seul clic d'ajouter un arrêt à ta base zotero.
    Comme je te le disais précédemment, si on n'utilise pas les titres des commentaires, et qu'on se sert de la référence de l'arrêt comme titre, alors "parallel citation" peut être un outil très précieux.
    Oui, c'est sûr. C'est ce que j'ai finalement dit dans mon message à Frank. J'avais un doute à l'origine sur la pratique... (qui, en matière de citations en général, est très variable en droit français: les anglophones ont des guides très précis dont le plus connu est le "Bluebook").
    Comment remplis-tu les champs dans "Affaire" actuellement? Tu utilise le nom pour mettre le nom de l'arrêt et le champ "tribunal" pour renseigner la Cour et la chambre?
    Pour ma part je mets en titre "Cass. 1ère civ." dans la mesure où il est rare en droit privé de donner le nom des arrêts.
    J'utilise aussi les champ "date de la décision" (ce qui me permet un classement par date dans zotero) et "recueil".
    -Nom de l'affaire: la nom de l'arrêt (les parties en général). Je pense qu'il vaut mieux éviter de mettre ici la juridiction: il y a un champ pour cela. Quand tu citeras des arrêts avec des noms (j'imagine que ça peut tout de même arriver: CJCE (enfin CJUE), CEDH, Conseil constit.), le formatage ne sera pas cohérent...
    -Recueil: le nom du recueil où je trouve le texte de l'arrêt
    -Volume du recueil: je ne m'en sers pas car l'année est implicite (c'est la même que l'arrêt). Mais si tel n'était pas le cas, je mettrais les références du recueil: l'année, un numéro (?). Ça peut être utile si on cite des arrêts publiés seulement dans une revue.
    -Tribunal: la juridiction (avec la formation de jugement, faute de champ adéquat)
    -Numéro de requête: seulement le n°
    -Première page: la page au Recueil
    -Date de décision: la date (!)
    -Extra: je m'en sers pour mettre les références complètes des commentaires de l'arrêt. On retombe sur le problème de l'italique du nom des revues (et éventuellement des noms d'auteurs): la solution est celle indiquée plus haut: elle fonctionne bien, et ce sera celle à venir avec zotero 2.1 (voir ici): elle est donc compatible avec les futures évolutions. C'est juste un peu lourd...; l'autre solution est parallel citation: à venir aussi mais devrait bien fonctionner.
    Autre petite question: comment fais-tu pour répondre à un commentateur précédent et avoir le petit cadre le signalant? Je suis novice sur ce forum et je découvre...
    Tu ajoutes: <blockquote> au début et <\blockquote> à la fin de la citation. Et tu coches "Format comment as HTML" en dessous du cadre pour écrire un message.
  • On retombe sur le problème de l'italique du nom des revues (et éventuellement des noms d'auteurs): la solution est celle indiquée plus haut: elle fonctionne bien, et ce sera celle à venir avec zotero 2.1 (voir ici): elle est donc compatible avec les futures évolutions. C'est juste un peu lourd
    Oui, cette solution est intéressante, je ne sais pas encore bien la faire fonctionner mais je me pencherai dessus pendant les vacances.

Parallel citation a un inconvénient me semble-t-il: pour un arrêt on aura plusieurs entrées dans zotero en fonction du nombre de commentaires.
    Mais, on a un avantage: la possibilité de citer un seul commentaire en précisant "note sous..." Je pense qu'il doit être possible de développer cela au niveau du style CSL (peut être en utilisant la rubrique "titre abrégé?")
    Pourquoi écrire un translator pour légifrance est-il actuellement impossible? Faute de champs adaptés?
  • Parallel citation a un inconvénient me semble-t-il: pour un arrêt on aura plusieurs entrées dans zotero en fonction du nombre de commentaires.
    Oui, je viens de réaliser cela. Pas génial.
    Mais, on a un avantage: la possibilité de citer un seul commentaire en précisant "note sous..." Je pense qu'il doit être possible de développer cela au niveau du style CSL (peut être en utilisant la rubrique "titre abrégé?")
    L'idée est que c'est automatique. Le processeur csl reconnait qu'il y a deux arrêts dans la base zotero avec le même nom. Si tu cites un des arrêts, il fusionne habilement les références. Le problème est que c'est surtout fait pour des arrêts cités dans plusieurs recueils différents. En gros, le même arrêt cité à différents endroits. Ce n'est pas tout à fait ce qui nous intéresse (on veut qu'une note d'arrêt soit reconnu comme tel) mais apparemment cela doit pouvoir être possible.
    Pourquoi écrire un translator pour légifrance est-il actuellement impossible? Faute de champs adaptés?
    . Non le problème est le site de légifrance. Il y a trois types de translators/convertisseurs: les "scrapers", les convertisseurs de métadonnées, et les outils d'exportation.
    En gros, un "scraper" (gratteur) se fonde sur la structure de la page web et ajoute les données à zotero (le programme "sait" que dans la troisième colonne, c'est toujours le nom de l'auteur; que dans la quatrième colonne, c'est toujours le titre de l'article, etc.) alors que les deux autres types impliquent que la page web elle-même "indique" à zotero qu'il y a des données à récupérer.
    Mais un scraper ne peut fonctionner que si la page est relativement bien structuré: ce qui n'est pas le cas de légifrance (ça ne se voit pas comme ça). Sur la création de convertisseurs: voir ici.
  • Non le problème est le site de légifrance. Il y a trois types de translators/convertisseurs: les "scrapers", les convertisseurs de métadonnées, et les outils d'exportation.
    ok mais quid des convertisseurs autres que les scrapers? eux pourraient peut-être être utilisés par Légifrance?
    De toute façon, ce sera le pb des informaticiens du site.

Les parallel citations seraient d'ailleurs très intéressantes dans un monde idéal où légifrance et les sites de revues françaises seraient compaptibles zotero. Il suffirait aux revues de reprendre la même structure que légifrance en ajoutant leurs références de publication sous les arrêts et zotero ferait immédiatement le lien avec l'entrée légifrance. Cela implique un minimum de coordination mais devrait être faisable.
    Tu utilises zotero depuis longtemps?
  • Bien-sûr que c'est possible. Mais ça demande de la part de Légifrance des modifications... (qui, sur un site de cette importance, peuvent être longues à venir).
    Pour les autres revues: des scrapers sont peut-être possibles et il y a des projets, je crois.
    Persée, Cairn et Revues.org sont compatibles avec zotero (mais il n'y a pas beaucoup de revues juridiques).
    De manière générale, les éditeurs privés ont quand même tendance à ne pas "coopérer" ou "se coordonner": ils ne voient pas leur intérêt, à tort. [+ le fait que Thomson-Reuters, éditeur juridique, est propriétaire d'Endnote, concurrent payant de zotero].
    [Il faut voir comment ils ont lutter contre la création même de Légifrance]

Pour les arrêts, cela implique qu'on se mette d'accord (je dis "on": zotero est open-source et c'est bel et bien aux utilisateurs d'aider à son amélioration: ce que nous faisons en ce moment). De même pour les actes législatifs, réglementaires, etc. (Acte juridique dans zotero)
    J'utilise zotero depuis octobre 2009.
  • Parallel citations is implemented only in Zotero 2.1, which is currently in the early alpha phase of development. Some things (citing with a plugin from a shared library) don't work at all yet, and because the code has not been extensively tested, there is a risk of data loss. It's safer to stick with the current version for anything remotely important.

However, if you have time and want to test it, you should start by installing the trunk XPI in a separate Firefox profile. There is some information on profiles here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

Frank
  • I'm not sure I understand the French side of the thread, but a note just in case. With parallel citations, the processor does not actively pull in related citations; the user adds the references themselves one by one, and the processor collapses them to eliminate unnecessary parts. The machinery will need a little adjustment to cope with this case, but it should work out okay if the titles and dates are aligned. I think. :)
  • @Frank:
    Sorry for the French: that was easier for quick Q/A.
    Thanks for the precision about parallel citations: it sounds like a duplicate detection in a specific context for me.

Actually it's not really common to cite one case with different reporters here.
    The problem I'd like to tackle is that of comments. It would be great if zotero/csl could know the relationship between a case and a journal article which comments this case. For the moment, I'll continue to use the extra field. It's manual and not formatted but better than nothing.

[and btw, thank you, thank you, thank you ;-)]
  • One more thing. Why has it been decided to use parallel citations on this basis (i.e.: multi-items in zotero) rather than improve the zotero UI in this manner: give the opportunity to the user to add more than one "Reporter" (as it is possible for authors). For strict parallel citations, that should work nicely?
  • Frank: thank you for your help and sorry for the french. I will try this new version on a separate computer.
    Gracile's idea would be wonderful --> create a link between a journal article and a law case, and of course be able to use this link for the citation.
  • One more thing. Why has it been decided to use parallel citations on this basis (i.e.: multi-items in zotero) rather than improve the zotero UI in this manner: give the opportunity to the user to add more than one "Reporter" (as it is possible for authors).
    This would be great beacause with parallel citation we need to add the case as far as the number of comments. This problem would not exist with the possibility to add another reporter but maybe it's complicate for the page number etc.
  • The parallel cites mechanism is a rebel experiment of my own. It's not part of the CSL specification, and it's intentionally designed to work without any hints in the input data. I went that route because the signals from Bibo (which is the basis of Zotero's data model) were that parallel cites were a new issue that had never been discussed, would be difficult to solve, and would be a very long time coming. We need this facility for common law cites, and when I worked out a way to do it I decided to just go for it. If the same trickery can help out in civil law citation, that would be great. My research is in Japanese law, which is a civil jurisdiction, so it's in my interest to get both sides working.

I'll play around with some sample cites over the next week or so and see how close I can come to producing output similar to the examples.