encyclopediaArticle /dictionaryEntry

I'm trying to write a personal style which differentiates encyclopaedia/dictionary entries from other types (article or book chapter). Actually the difference is rather minor: I just want something like:
Author, V°« DictionaryEntry », in NameOfTheDictionary, date, page.
My problem is to encode this V°. How can I add it for my dictionary and encyclopaedia entries but *only* for them?

I can't use type since there's no mapping for encyclopediaArticle and dictionaryEntry (which automatically fall under the chapter type). [+ I know that it's not a good idea to write style on a type-basis]
I can't test the variable (e.g. container-title if we assume that a dictionary is always called dictionary - assumption which anyway might be erroneous).

Any idea?
Thanks!
  • I fear you're out of luck. I can't see a way to do this atm.
  • edited November 12, 2009
    The only way to do this would be to test a variable which is specific to my encyclopaedia/dictionary entries (as proposed here: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/9512/issue-with-a-citation-style-created-with-the-simple-style-creator/)... but it's a short-term solution (and I have no specific variable unfortunately)

I've read in many topics that csl 1.0 will provide solutions to numbers of problems like this one. Will the dictionary and encyclopaedia entries be mapped? Will fallbacks be removed?
    I know it can be annoying for developers to answer always the same question but when will csl 1.0 be implemented? (6 months, 1 year, more?)

Thanks
  • I'm not a developer, but from following the chatter closely, my sense is that csl 1.0 will be implemented in less than 6months.

I'm not sure what csl 1.0 will bring in this particular respect, though - we can try to attract Frank Bennett's attention, maybe he'll hear us ;-) (he does have that devilish tendency to appear when you use his name, so let's see...).

Unfortunately there aren't any variables that are per se unique to dictionaries - in the thread you linked to, the person didn't have authors for those entries, which made things easy. Otherwise, though, the fields for encyclopedia entry and chapter are identical.
  • Where can I follow these discussions?

BTW, I'm trying to understand the precise role of csl and zotero and I'm wondering whether the future system (hierarchical relationships between items) depends upon csl and zotero or only on zotero?

I'm a new user of zotero (2months) and, as many, find it is a divine present (!). But it's rather difficult to find informations about its future: you've to search in the forums and the trac to understand who (I mean people not institution) is doing what (csl, bruce d'arcus, frank bennett?; zotero: dan stillman, sean? I would have added you (adamsmith) but I know you're 'just' a very regular contributor).
    I've actually so many questions that I don't even dare ask them: I don't want to annoy and flood.

As suggested in another topic, some forum discussions are sleeping until someone wakes them up years later... without new answer (e.g.: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/391/2/hierarchical-item-relationships/#Item_70).

(My English may not help my understanding, however)
  • I agree, the Zotero roadmap
    (there is one: http://www.zotero.org/support/development_roadmap )
    is pretty useless, unfortunately.
    There is a zotero dev google group, but it's not very active.
    CSL development happens somewhere else - I believe there is a separate listserv (xbiblio?) as well as the site were Frank is developing the new csl processor:
    http://bitbucket.org/fbennett/citeproc-js/wiki/Home

You have most of the core dev team, there is also Simon (Kornblith), who mainly deals with word processor integration.

There is no reason why you shouldn't ask questions, there are plenty of posts of people asking questions they could have answered with 1mins of searching the forums and they're not getting flamed of the forum either. I think it would generally be a good idea if we could find a way to gather some of that information - you're not the only one who sometimes doesn't know what's going on.
  • edited November 12, 2009
    The roadmap is useless because it has not been updated, the blog could be the place for that too. Are zotero developers mainly focused, at the moment, on online-zotero features (social networking) as it sometimes seems? This would be nice to know what are the priorities (short-term, long-term): zotero community could bring much more!
  • edited February 16, 2010
    I re-open this thread since I realized that csl 0.8 has an "entry-dictionary" and an "entry-encyclopedia" type (and csl 1.0 keep them). Since these items exist in zotero and csl, I do not understand why there is no mapping for them?

Thanks...
  • Changes in 2.0.4 (September 1, 2010)

(...) CSL: Mapped dictionaryEntry and encyclopediaArticle to entry-dictionary and entry-encyclopedia respectively (instead of chapter)
    Thanks!
  • Now that entry-dictionary and entry-encyclopedia are functional, I have been revising our school's Zotero style definition (which is based on that of the Chicago Manual of Style). I can do almost everything I want to do with these item types except get edition information to appear. So far what iave done in the edition-note, edition, locators-note, and locators has not solved the issue:

<macro name="edition-note">
    <choose>
    <if type="book chapter entry-encyclopedia" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if is-numeric="edition">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <number variable="edition" form="ordinal"/>
    <text term="edition" form="short" suffix="."/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="edition" suffix="."/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

<macro name="edition">
    <choose>
    <if type="book chapter entry-encyclopedia" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if is-numeric="edition">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    <number variable="edition" form="ordinal"/>
    <text term="edition" form="short" suffix="."/>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="edition" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix="."/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

<macro name="locators-note">
    <choose>
    <if type="article-journal">
    <text variable="volume" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix=":"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="legal_case">
    <text variable="volume" prefix=", "/>
    <text variable="container-title" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="page" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="locator" prefix=", "/>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="entry-encyclopedia">
    <text macro="edition-note"/>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="book chapter" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if variable="locator" match="any">
    </if>
    <else>
    <group prefix=", " delimiter=", ">
    <group>
    <text term="volume" form="short" suffix=". "/>
    <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
    </group>
    <choose>
    <if variable="locator" match="none">
    <group>
    <number variable="number-of-volumes" form="numeric"/>
    <text term="volume" form="short" prefix=" " suffix="." plural="true"/>
    </group>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </group>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

<macro name="locators">
    <choose>
    <if type="article-journal">
    <text variable="volume" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="issue" prefix=":"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="legal_case">
    <text variable="volume" prefix=", "/>
    <text variable="container-title" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="page" prefix=" "/>
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="entry-encyclopedia">
    </else-if>
    <else-if type="book chapter" match="any">
    <group prefix=". " delimiter=". ">
    <group>
    <text term="volume" form="short" text-case="capitalize-first" suffix=". "/>
    <number variable="volume" form="numeric"/>
    </group>
    <group>
    <number variable="number-of-volumes" form="numeric"/>
    <text term="volume" form="short" prefix=" " suffix="." plural="true"/>
    </group>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    </macro>

No doubt it is the code that isn't displayed that is the source of the problem (see the style wheaton-phd-bith.csl at Any help would be much appreciated.
  • edited May 20, 2011
    I don't think encyclopedia article in Zotero maps to entry-encyclopedia yet - the csl item type exists, but any new mappings of types and variables is likely going to happen in Zotero 2.2.
    Best I know Frank keeps this up to date:
    http://gsl-nagoya-u.net/http/pub/csl-fields/index.html
    and it still had EncyclopediaArticle mapping to chapter.

edit: uhm - I see above that is supposed to have changed - but the fact that this doesn't work for you would seem to indicate that it hasn't.
  • I think the mapping must be incomplete (or I am missing something about the way it is done) because, at least in the Zotero Reference Test pane the two types (chapter and entry-encyclopedia) are handled differently. This is certainly the case in Chicago Manual of Style (Full Note with Bibliography). In particular the editor is displayed via secondary-contributors rather than container-contributors. The latter does not display for the entry-encyclopedia type. It looks like I am at the bleeding edge of things, so I will sit tight and wait for 2.2.
  • I don't think encyclopedia article in Zotero maps to entry-encyclopedia yet
    No.That works well for me (since 2.0.4 and still in 2.1.x!)