Zotero, Word and Google Docs

edited June 27, 2022
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say right off the bat that I have read the documentation page regarding how to transfer a document from one word processor to another. However, this doesn't exactly cover my situation here.

The company I work for stores all documents using Google Drive. Using the Google Drive sync tool, I have been creating and saving Microsoft Words documents in this drive.

When I create and edit a document, I have no problem using Zotero to add/edit citations. However, when my colleagues open the document in Google Drive in their browser, it allows them to edit my Word document in Google Docs. The problem arrises when I go to make further changes later. It seems that anytime one of my colleagues edits the Word document using Google Docs, the citations become flattened and I can no longer edit them.

As far as I understand, to get around this, I have to transform the file from Word to Google Docs each time I make some edits, and then transform from Google Docs back to Word if I want to make more edits later.

While I have been able to get this process to work, I'm wondering if there exists any easier ways for me to be able to work on a Word document, synced with my colleagues through Google Drive, without the citations becoming flattened anytime someone makes an edit. If not, that's completely fine, I'm just wondering if I missed a way to save some time.

Thank you very much.

Edit : I initially wasn't able to convert some documents between formats. I later realized that, if the document begins with a table, the text added by the "change word processor" button will be added to the top left field of the table. For reason, this isn't picked up when refreshing the document. However, once I cut and pasted the text above the table, the problem was solved. This maybe something that would be worth adding to the documentation.
  • I don't see an easier solution here -- going back and forth between google docs and Word is a bit of a pain, so any workflow we use minimizes the need to do this (typically, in our case, we do a lot of initial writing in google docs and then transfer to Word for editing, as it has better layout and track changes).