Preserving PDF annotations outside Zotero

The PDF annotation tool built in to Zotero is elegant and convenient—much easier to work with than it was to open the PDF file outside of Zotero and save. The only problem is that all of the highlights and notes that one adds appear to be invisible outside of Zotero. This is not necessarily a problem if one commits to working entirely inside Zotero, but I can see wanting in some cases to open and work with the file—highlights, notes, and all—outside the context of Zotero. Since annotations made outside Zotero appear to be accessible inside, it would seem the only way to have maximum versatility is to do all of one's annotation work outside of Zotero, which would amount to squandering the advantages of the new feature. I also observe that is now less straightforward to open a PDF file outside of Zotero: one must first open the enclosing folder using Show File.

I'm wondering whether there is a utility to convert a PDF file annotated inside Zotero so that all of annotations appear outside. If so, I would feel comfortable doing my annotations inside Zotero.