BUG: Existing RIS "Content type" in FF results in Zotero freeze

I installed zotero on my school laptop after messing with Bibus for a while. I had previously downloaded a few .RIS files to import into Bibus, but I didn't like the program. Anyway, all this resulted in the .RIS "content type" having an entry under the Content Tab in FF preferences. This caused issues.

1) If I clicked on a .RIS link, Firefox would ask what to do with it, and Zotero would grey out and freeze.

2) If I attempted to import a previously saved .RIS file, Firefox would ask me what to do with it and Zatero would freeze and gray out.

I installed zotero on another machine which had no issues whatsoever. The only difference was the presence of the .RIS "content type" in the Content Tab. No matter what option is chosen for that content type, the behavior is the same. I started with a fresh FF installation on the first machine, and zotero works fine.

Summary: If .RIS shows up under "Content", regardless of the associated action, zotero will lock up upon attempting to import a .RIS file.

Edit: sorry I am using zotero v 2.0b7.4 and FF 3.5.4 on Ubuntu 9.10 on both machines
  • I had this bug in zotero 2.0b7.4 and FF 3.5.5 in both windows xp service pack 3 and ubuntu 9.10 operating system.
    It seems that this bug in beta version of zotero is common on all platforms.
  • Not sure if you're still having trouble, but this may have been related to a BibTeX importing issue that was fixed in 2.0b7.5.

If you're still experiencing it, deleting mimetypes.rdf, which stores file-handling settings, from your Firefox profile might fix the problem.