Order files by file size

Hi all,

Is there a way to order Zotero attachments by file size? I'm over my sync limit, but I know for a fact I have a bunch of stuff in there that can be deleted.

I followed instructions to locate the storage folder on my computer, but within that folder all Zotero items are stored in separate folders with an 8-digit codename (XWJDHDWI etc.). Short of clicking through all folders individually, is there some way of doing this? I'm not an IT expert so please bear that in mind with any suggestions or if i'm failing to do something obvious.
  • Hi there. Apologies for re-posting but is anyone able to offer a suggestion for how to attachments by file size (or at the least be able to locate large-size files)?

• I do not know if this is possible within Zotero itself, but:

You could use a free general file/folder tool such as “WinDirStat” (for Windows) or OmniDiskSweeper” (for macOS) to sort the contents of the storage folder by size.

You would still have to open the file identified as largest to determine its actual identity (i.e. to which Zotero entry it belongs).
  • You can do this easily in Windows without any new software (and I assume the Mac OS has similar capability). Just go your Zotero\Storage folder in File Explorer, and search (top right field) for *.pdf files (assuming they are your largest attachments). Child folders are included in the search. After it finds all the PDFs, right click and select Sort By - Size.
  • Yes, something similar will absolutely work on macOS!
  • edited July 27, 2022
    Just to note, we've implemented a built-in version of this, and we'll be rolling it out in an upcoming release.
  • Hi! Has this finally implemented in new version of Zotero? Thank you