Dead Slow and Lagging After Opening Previous Word Files on Windows

edited June 15, 2022
I wrote a Word file with about 17k words and 100 citations. It works well and smoothly back to March this year. But recently when I opened that file, Word became dead slow and lagging when there were citations on the page I'm viewing. All other applications other than Word are normal. If I stayed on the first page without viewing any pages that contain citations, the file works fine. If I have multiple Word files, they all become slower and slower, and would be no response eventually, while Word utilizes about 13~15% of the CPU (AMD 5800X), compared to normal usage of 2~3%. I have to end the process in task manager to quit Word.

I have updated the Windows 11, MS Office 365, and Zotero to the latest versions, but it doesn't help. It should not be a problem with Windows 11 since back in March I have already upgraded to Windows 11 and the file worked normally and smoothly. I deleted the bibliography and canceled automatically update citations -- also didn't work. However, when I changed the storage of citations from fields to bookmarks, things got better -- the file still lags, but Word won't die anymore. I suppose the problem is related to either MS Office or Zotero's recent update, while the fields in my file got messed up somehow. Now I literally cannot edit that file if I still want to keep the links in my citations.

I created a new Word file, so far it works normally since I haven't cited much yet. Does anyone has the same problem, or know a solution to this? Thank you!
  • Note that this is entirely about Word. Zotero citations are standard Word fields, and Zotero doesn't operate at all except when you actually press one of the plugin buttons.

While it's not a Zotero issue, you can still see the final step on Troubleshooting Errors in Word Processor Documents for how to quickly cut down the document to see if a single citation is the problem.