Word and Zotero freeze/ not responding every time I try to use Zotero

I am a long time Zotero user, and suddenly, I am not able to use it at all. I cannot use any of the functions in Word (add/edit citation, add note, bibliography, etc.). I have tried using these functions in blank documents without any citations, in documents with previous citations, and all have the same problem. I just get a spinning wheel and have to force quit both word and zotero.

I have tried everything I can find in forums to fix this. I have reinstalled the word add-in via zotero, disabled and enabled in word, deleted Zotero.dotm in my word startup file, reinstalled Word, reinstalled Zotero, made sure my computer and all systems are up to date. I am still getting the same error.

Does anyone have a suggestion for further trouble shooting? I would really hate to lose my whole library, and never be able to use Zotero again.

Thank you!
  • edited June 14, 2022
    If you're trying to use a footnote style, it's probably this: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/409669/#Comment_409669.
  • Thank you! I have submitted feedback to Microsoft and will hope they resolve this soon. On the two options you suggest, can you provide me further direction with how to avoid using a style (and use author - date instead). Does this mean this is an option in Zotero? Because as I am using it, I can't figure out how to avoid selecting a style when inputting a citation. Thank you again.
  • Click on "Document Preferences" in Zotero's Word add-on and pick a style like American Psychological Association or Chicago (author-date)
  • Got it. Thank you!