Error Message: You must insert a bibliography before performing this operation

Report ID: 69466774

When I try to add in a bibliography/reference list in to word (by clicking on add/edit bibliography), even after having included many citations in the body of the document, I get the following error message: "You must insert a bibliography before performing this operation." What should I do?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Zotero.
2. Open Word document with zotero plug in/add on
3. I have inserted citations using zotero add on in to word document
4. Click on Add/Edit Bibliography
5. The button pops up briefly then I get an error message saying "You must insert a bibliography before performing this operation"

Thank you!

• Does that happen even if you insert citations during the same session? And you're using the Add/Edit Citation button to insert citations?
  • Hello adamsmith!
    Yes, it happens during the same session as when I use the Add/Edit citation button to insert citations.
  • edited June 13, 2022
    You're using an outdated version of Zotero that we can't provide support for. You should install the latest version from the download page and figure out why you haven't received automatic updates.

If you can reproduce the same problem with Zotero 6, let us know and provide another Report ID from that.
  • Hello! I updated my Zotero to version 6. And I still get the same message. Is there anything I can do?

Report ID: 549910269

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Zotero.
    2. Open Word document with zotero plug in/add on
    3. I have inserted citations using zotero add on in to word document
    4. Click on Add/Edit Bibliography
    5. The button pops up briefly then I get an error message saying "You must insert a bibliography before performing this operation"

Thank you.
  • Can you reproduce this in a new, empty document?

Does this still happen if you insert a new citation in the existing document?

If not, your existing document may have been flattened.
  • It unfortunately happens in any document. What can I do?
  • It specifically says I need to add in a bibliography, not a citation though.
  • What are the exact steps you can take to reproduce this in a new, completely empty document?