Cannot Add Citations in MS Word Footnotes (Mac)

I'd appreciate someone's help with this. I have been using Zotero on MS Word for Mac without any (major) problems and suddenly cannot insert citations in Word footnotes.

This occurs no matter what citation format I'm using as well as on completely new documents. I have reinstalled both MS Word, the Zotero desktop client, and the plugin to no avail.

The behavior goes like this: I can insert citations in the body of the text no problem. I can even add a bib. When I insert a footnote and try to add a citation therein, I get the Zotero dialog box to add the citation. But as soon as I click enter to add the citation, I get the spinning ball of death. On the force quit dialog, the Zotero desktop client usually hangs first, then Word second. I have to force quit both. There is no error dialog.

I can cut and paste a field from the body into a footnote. When I refresh Zotero, it will even render this citation and add it to the bibliography. But if I click on the field to edit it, the crash will happen again. So this is not a feasible workaround.

One more clue: once, when I tried to edit a citation I had copied and pasted into a footnote and had to force quit Word, the edit dialog finally appeared in Zotero, which was still open. My suspicion, then, is that there is some type of hang up in the communication between the Zotero desktop client and Word, and so once Word was quit, the Zotero dialog was able to display. But I can't figure out anything more specific than that.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm usually able to troubleshoot these things, but with this one, I'm completely stumped, not to mention I'm highly dependent on Zotero for my writing!
This discussion has been closed.