Non-english character in citation keys possible?

Hello!

Is it possible to retain non-english characters when generating citation keys? I'm mainly concerned with the Swedish characters "å, ä, ö". These are currently transliterated to "a, a, o", which I would like to avoid if possible.

Note that I don't want to disable all transliteration, seeing as that would allow author names with accents etcetera (I'm guessing), which would cause some problems.

I use the Better BibTeX plugin, and I have the language of Zotero set to English if that's relevant (however I do get the same result when changing over to Swedish).
  • edited June 14, 2022
    Thank you for replying. I have looked at that page previously but I'm not sure how that solves the problem with transliteration. Could you explain how this retains "å, ä, ö" in the citekey?

My citekey is currently something like this:
    authEtal2(sep=_).lower + "-" + year + "-" + shorttitle(3).lower

If the author or title has the characters "å, ä, ö" they get transliterated to "a, a, o". If I change the citekey to use one of the unprocessed fields (your link) I still get this same transliteration.
  • Those are unprocessed fields if you want single fields from the item; for combined fields like authEtal2 you will want to use authEtal2(sep=_,clean=false).lower + "-" + year + "-" + shorttitle(3).lower. Setting clean to false skips diacritic folding; I'll add parameter descriptions to the docs.
  • Ah, now I understand a bit better. It worked well for the author field. Disabling "Force citation key to plain text" worked for the unprocessed fields as well.

How do I add the clean=false filter to "shorttitle(3).lower"? I'm failing to figure out the correct format for it.

Thank you for the patience.
  • shorttitle doesn't have a clean parameter but the equivalent is achievable using Title.skipwords.select(1,3). If that doesn't work for you, please open a discussion on github. My support toolchain is built around github issues/discussions, and it's much less efficient for me to do support here.
  • 6.7.10 adds this option: clean(false) + authEtal2(sep=_).lower + "-" + year + "-" + shorttitle(3).lower which would apply the equivalent of clean=false to what follows it.
  • Awesome, that update made everything real easy for me. I'm grateful for the help, thank you!