Zotero note editor: Needs option to disable autocorrect

I have used Zotero for a long time. Recently, I switched to the new Zotero but faced with some autocorrect issues in the note editor.

These issues cause problems when writing research notes (latex, maths, shell command, source code, etc.). In particular, the following are prominent:
- Bullet list: "- ", "* " are automatically changed to bullet list.
- Number list: "1. " is automatically changed to numbered list.
- Consecutive dash: --- is automatically changed to a line
- Consecutive dots: ... is automatically changed to one non-ascii character …
- Quotation marks: "" are automatically changed to non-ascii characters
- Tab: should have an option for changing tab to 4 whitespaces which is useful for writing source code
- Whitespaces: if there are consecutive whitespaces, (1) some whitespaces are changed to special character <0xa0>, (2) one whitespace is deleted from the text

Sometimes, these issues make the note content damaged and misleading. The other times, I have to undo with Cmd+Z, which disrupts the train of thoughts.

I know that autocorrect intends to make typing faster, but in case accurate and reliable typing is needed, there should be an option to disable it.

Zotero is a great contribution to the research community, I would like to thank the developers for their hard work. Zotero note is quite useful, fixing these issues will make it even more valuable as a research tool.
  • Just for the record, I am using Zotero 6.0.8 on macOS 12.3.1, upgraded from Zotero 5.
  • For me, Zotero process these markdown symbols in the proper way.
    If you view/edit notes inside Zotero, they just look like a rendered markdown.
    When you export the note to a real markdown file, they are converted correctly.
  • @tranhungnghiep: It's a rich-text editor. If you want to type source code or other unconverted text, use the Monospaced paragraph style, triggerable with three backticks. For inline code, use `single backticks`.
  • @dstillman I think @tranhungnghiep is still onto something here. If someone wants to type code or markdown then switching to monospace is fine. Yet in my case, at least, I want the rich-text characteristics but also still want to be able to disable the autocorrect features. Would that not be a relatively easy option to put in preferences?