References are all gone in Word when trying to add a new reference

When I add an additional in-text citation, the list of my references at the back of the document changes. 4 pages of full reference list becomes 5 references only. Please help!!
  • Ok, my citations have been flattened, and inactive. So how can I get back to active? I read the document, still unclear what to do. Both my in-text citation and the reference at the back are inactive. I am not able to add/edit citations. When I click on add/edit Bibliography, it gives me an error, saying I have to specify a citation. What can I do?? Please help!
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    From the page:
    If you find that your citations have been flattened, your only options are to restore the document from a backup, re-insert the citations using the plugin, or manually edit the document's citations going forward and generate a final bibliography from a collection in Zotero without using the plugin. If reinserting citations, it may help to adjust Word field settings to always highlight fields in gray rather than only doing so when they are selected.
  • I am trying to re-insert the citation. But When I add the in-text citation, it doesn't reflect at the back in the Reference list. How can I fix this?
  • dstillman Zotero Team
    You need to reinsert the citations and insert a new bibliography via the plugin. The one you have was flattened, like the rest of the document.
Sign In or Register to comment.