SBL Phd, difficultywith quotation marks in prefix or suffix

Hi there, I am in my final year of my PhD thesis and just attending a thesis formatting course.

I love Zotero but have an issue with my footnotes auto-correcting my single quotation marks to double ones. They HAVE to be single. The quotations around titles is not the issue, (they HAVE to be double).

The problem is when I want to say in the prefix: Scholar X says 'Zotero is awesome' see: (reference here). It auto corrects to Scholar X says "Zotero is awesome".
If I try and edit the double back to single (as my supervisor requires) it means that reference will no longer update.

Currently it seems my only option is to do the whole thesis with the double quote marks and then when I have the final copy, make a copy and manually change every single entry.

Please please noooooooo! Is there another way? I have looked at multiple different styles, but only SBL meets the criteria - just not when I want to quote someone in a footnote. (In my discipline you write a lot of explanatory information in the footnotes, and frequently include quotes, so maybe Zotero just doesn't work for this sort of thesis?) Any help gratefully accepted.
  • While the quotation marks IN(!) a citation are defined by the locale (i.e. UK vs US English), I'm not sure this applies here actually.
    The "Zotero is awesome" part you mention is just written by you manually, no?
    Then try changing the language of your document itself.
  • Hey, thanks, I just tried that. It doesn't seem to make any difference if the language of my document is set to UK or US - Zotero automatically corrects all single quotation marks that I put manually into the prefix or suffix box to double ones. The main body of the document is unaffected.

Unless you mean in the Zotero Citation Style options rather than the language of the Word document? In that case the language is set to US and it doesn't allow me to change that.

For example here I want it to say:

Some scholars such as Enslin have seen this as 'a deliberate and conscious answer to Matthew 10:5' . See: Morton S. Enslin, “Luke and the Samaritans,” H. Theolo. Review 36.4 (1943): 282; Also: Samkutty, The Samaritan Mission in Acts, 104.

But I can't. It looks like this:

Some scholars such as Enslin have seen this as “a deliberate and conscious answer to Matthew 10:5”. See: Morton S. Enslin, “Luke and the Samaritans,” H. Theolo. Review 36.4 (1943): 282; Also: Samkutty, The Samaritan Mission in Acts, 104.
  • I just tried changing Zotero itself to UK English in the advanced settings, this also didn't fix the issue. I've been trying to find others with the same problem, looks like I need to edit the style?