Feature Request – Option to use article name as PDF filename

This would be awfully nice. The way the journal databases name their PDFs is atrocious. It would be wonderful if Zotero, when it finds a PDF to download with the article reference from a journal database, it would automatically rename the PDF with the title of the article. Even better would be for it to give you a dialog box with it so that you can edit the PDF's filename before saving it.

Cheers
--Dan
  • it should already do so.
    Note that the filename is not neccessarily the same as the name of the Zotero attachment.
    If you select the pdf, you'll see a line called: Filename
    in the right hand panel. That's the actual filename and if you downloaded the file using a Zotero translator it should have a reasonable name (something like author - year - title)
    The behavior of the displayed title in Zotero bothers a lot of people, there's a lengthy thread on that somewhere, I assume that's going to be changed soon.
  • Yes, the filename is okay, but the attachment's label is set to things like: "ScienceDirect Full Text PDF". It would be nice if the PDF's label in Zotero was set to the article's title. Or does that just depend on how the specific translator is set up?

Also, is there a way to specify how it names the PDF? Until I started using Zotero I had been saving all my article PDFs in a directory structure and naming them with the convention: "Article Name (Auther YYYY).pdf". Can I set Zotero to use that convention instead of "Author - YYYY - Article Name.pdf"?

Thanks for the quick response.
    --Dan
  • Re: attachment label, re-read what adamsmith wrote.
    Can I set Zotero to use that convention instead of "Author - YYYY - Article Name.pdf"?
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8635/rename-file-update-document-metadata/
  • That's awesome. Thanks Dan.
  • Old thread, but I still need a pointer here.

I want my filenames to include no spaces, but underscores in their place. Is this possible?
    e.g.
    Author: Bar, Foo and Foo, Bar
    Year: 2001
    Title: Arg Blarg and the Big Dog
    would produce the filename
    Bar_et_al._-_2001_-_Arg_Blarg_and_the_Big_Dog.pdf

The only problem I see is in between words in the Title field. Changing my attachmentRenameFormatString to {%c_-_}{%y_-_}{%t{50}} would produce the filename
    Bar et al._-_2001_-_Arg Blarg and the Big Dog.pdf (I think) which obviously contains spaces.