Apa 7th citations for websites

edited May 18, 2022
Last semester I used Zotero for my references and everything was great. Something has changed. when I put in-text citations for websites Zotero is putting the website article name in italics followed by the date. It should be the website name with out a change in font and then the date. Can anyone help me fix this issue?
  • Make sure you are actually using APA and not ASA.
  • Thanks for replying. I have checked and it is APA 7th. I have tried changing to a different one and changing back audit hasn't helped.
  • I just had a look at the style and that's implemented like that.
    The style substitutes missing authors with the title. Since that is in italics for websites it appears as such also in the in-text citation.
    I had a quick look at the guidelines, but cannot see this case explained anywhere.

Let's wait for bwiernik, our main developer of APA, as he knows the manual inside out. :)
  • thank you. Ill check back in a little while
  • Hi Bwiernik, did you get a chance to look into this?
  • You’re mistaken, @ash123456789.

Rule 8.14 of the APA manual says that the in-text citations for items without authors should be the title, followed by the year. If the title is italicized in the references list, it is also italicized in-text. If the title is not italicized in the reference list, it is in quotes in-text.

Per Rule 10.16 of the APA manual, website titles are always italicized in the reference list (note that this is a change from 6th edition, where website titles were never italicized).

So, the Zotero style as currently written is producing correct in-text citations. Websites without authors should be cited with the item title in italics.
  • edited May 19, 2022
    Thanks for getting back to me. Do you happen to know if this is the same rule for government websites?
    I’ve been marked down for my referencing like this and the information I could see if that it needs to be the name of the entire website for example world health organisation and the year. With no font change. I’m thinking perhaps I need to save the name of the website as the author so bring that up in the In text citation.

• That's the same for any website, yes, but APA does encourage you to identify an author, even if that's an organization. Presumably that's the rule your instructors are referencing.

Here's what OWL has on this (you can't always rely on OWL to be 100% correct about APA, but they're correct here):
    If the resource was written by a group or organization, use the name of the group/organization as the author. Additionally, if the author and site name are the same, omit the site name from the citation.

Group name. (Year, Month Date). Title of page. Site name. URL
  • Thank you Adam. That has really cleared a lot up for me. thanks again